Topaz Impression

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ChangshaNotes, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    When Google bought NIK Software, I decided to try out Topaz Software and ended up on their mailing list. They have a new somewhat niche post-processing product called Topaz Impression that gives an 'art' look to photos. I'm trying the free trial.

These were done quickly with their presets. What do you think?

Van Gogh
    i-jLt3xBG-1200x1200.

Charcol
    i-tHg7qwd-1200x1200.

• Like Like x 6
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I really like the first one, but the second one seems to do too little to the photo to make it much of an "effect" IMO.

I've got an iPhone full of those sorts of apps that I downloaded and played with. Fun for a while, but their utility seems pretty limited to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Never been a fan of these "effects" personally...
    I used to play with Google's Picasa (which is like an effect program) when I first bought my Nex but after a while I discovered Lightroom and I stopped using Picasa

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Replying honestly only because you asked and will also say up front that I applaud / support others interest in such things.
    But I don't personally happen to be a fan of post processing in general...often seen on forums in earnest attempts to improve a scene or something.
    Have never seen one where the post processing wasn't obvious and unnatural.

At least in the case of this product you're referencing, it's obvious from the start that it's not trying to create something to be passed off as true art, like heavily post processed photos usually are...looks like it could be a fun element of the hobby, just nothing I'm interested in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    I got the trial, too. I'll buy it. I love their simplify for the painterly look as well!

Love the flower and bridge shot, I think the portrait needs MORE

I could totally see the first shot printed and hanging in a house

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thanks for the replies guys.

This app is quite a bit better than any I've eve seen for this kind of post-processing but it's true it's not something I would use often.

I could have done more to the second photo, but I figured that someone using charcoal to draw a face would not be doing more, if you know what I mean. Then again, I have no idea as I have trouble making stick figures. (A great source of amusement for my students whenever I try to draw something)

Yeah, I understand your view. For me, I post-process every single photo I keep.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It's important to remember my 2-part opening clarification statement:

"...Replying honestly only because you asked..."
    "...and will also say up front that I applaud / support others interest in such things..."

8. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I don't understand. Why is it important?

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, you only 'quoted' part of my post and I wanted to be sure you were aware of the opening qualifier...essentially that my frank reply to your request, carried no intent to put down your decision / activity on the post processing software.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't mind anything that furthers creativity. I just look at the end result. I don't care how you got there. In this case I say the first shot is a decent niche effect and can work well on a scene like the one you used. The second photo is blah. IMO

• Like Like x 1
  11. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I own most of the Topaz products and received an e-mail about their new "Impressions" product. It seems to do a decent job for its intended purpose, but I consider it to be priced far too high for me, since I would seldom use it. On the few occasions when I have wanted to obtain images like this I have used some free software called Foto Sketcher that meets my personal needs. (FWIW, to quantify my comment about high price, I might pay $20-$25 for it on the chance that I might use it at some time in the future. That's my personal valuation.)

For others who more frequently desire images like this, it is probably a good choice, judging by the performance of the other Topaz products that I have used.

- Tom -

12. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Oh, I see.

I didn't take it that way and wouldn't care anyway. I like the frank response and appreciate you taking the time to post. Cheers.

I will say though that I think of every photo as post-processed. I shoot RAW so must process the photos but even shooting jpeg there is processing going on by the camera. I go too far sometimes (maybe more than sometimes) and I'm not a fan of heavy HDR or processes like that too.

I usually have a feel for how I'm going to process the shot before I take it. When I shoot black and white, I don't usually change my viewscreen to black and white but I know I will do that in post and so I feel that although it's happening after the shot, it's really the true view of what I was seeing or trying to capture.

It is interesting how we may have our own individual rules for what is ok to do and what isn't. I, for example, won't remove objects from a photo or change only a background and I'm not sure why. I have no problem adding a filter or playing with levels, or cropping something out.

I guess a topic for another thread.

• Like Like x 2