Top Of The Rock - A tale of 2 days

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, Feb 6, 2018.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I haven't had much time to shoot for a number of reasons, but I find myself looking at old shots and wondering, If I took similar shots knowing what I know now, could I have done better. This time I took a shot at Top Of The Rock with my new/used A7RII. I got the 2 day pass because the weather was predicted to be sketchy. I think my skill helped, but you quickly realize it's all about the light and the conditions nature affords you.

Day one was misty with low visibility and tons of atmosphere. I shot handheld (IBIS is a beast) at high ISO and post processed embracing the gritty feel of the day.

Misty City.jpg

20180201-DSC03669-Pano-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

Day 2 was quite different as you can see
    20180202-DSC03921-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
    No tripods allowed LE. How? smooth reflections, luck, and a little "this is American Dammit"

40078309592_70144d0f02_h.jpg The Empire City by Gary Walters, on Flickr

Update: Another one handheld sun is gone and the lights shine bright
    20180201-DSC03723-Edit-Edit.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Striking the difference between the two days.

I think I actually prefer the first two.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think you squeezed the max from the conditions and situations from both days. First shot gives off a true concrete jungle atmosphere. Love the 2nd one's 1970s feel from the weather and monochromatic treatment.
    That's an amazing LE result for no tripod. Whatever 'American' ingenuity it took to achieve this, it paid off. That's kinda sad...they charge a small fortune to access the observation deck and one can't use a tripod to get the shot one went up there to get. Would they allow a monopod? I'd probably try to smuggle in a suction cup clamp! Or bribe the security guard. :D

4. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Well done!

5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Great shots as usual Gary!
    I was all turned around looking at them until I realized they were sunset pictures and not sunrise shots.
    Didn't know they charged a fee to get to the top deck.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Awesome cityscapes, Gary. I especially like #2 and 4, with the lights from the buildings.

I saw a Luminar YouTube video the other day, where the author used the Golden Hour filter on a cityscape to bring out and warm up the lights in the buildings. I had never thought of using that kind of warming trick on a blue-hour cityscape, but it worked very well.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great work Gary!
    For me #3 is working out better (especially in the sky/clouds appearance) than #4 :)

8. Arutemu

Arutemu TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 11, 2015
    Great shots all! It has been years since I have accessed the TOTR observation deck, and yes, they did charge a small fortune back in 2013.

9. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Here's one handheld from later.

20180201-DSC03723-Edit-Edit.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Just think of how many people are in that picture if there is only one person per lighted window.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Arutemu

Arutemu TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 11, 2015
    Pretty awesome, that last one. Do you have a Flickr link for it so I could fave? Visited your stream, but could not find that particular photo.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks. I didn't load that last one to Flickr yet. I do appreciate the visit to my stream. I tend to load pictures to Flickr one at a time. I know it's become a place to dump photos for most, but I still interact with folks there.

13. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I love the warmth and colour in number 4..... I haven't been here since 2012, my middle daughter got married in Central Park. I was using a Pentax at that time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.