1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Too much?!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Antoinem, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Antoinem

Antoinem New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2013
    Hello all!

New nex user here :)
    I'm looking into getting a tripod for my nex-6... I saw this pretty good deal I think:

Vanguard tripod

Looks good, but is it overkill? Is bigger better?:D

Thank's for your input!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Is bigger better? Loaded question... ;)

Depends on how/where you plan to ise a tripod and with what lens(es). That tripod is probably more than adequate for a NEX 6 up to the 55-210. Anything longer/heavier and you might look elsewhere.

If you're looking for a lighter tripod that's stable for about the same cash the Sirui T-005X comes very highly recommended by several forum members. I may pick one up since I only have 6 tripods now, but none that will go that tall and pack that small.

3. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    I have this exact tripod, but with the GH100 pistol-grip head, and it's wonderful. It has no problems supporting Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 80-200/2.8. For a small camera like NEX-6 it's probably an overkill.

BTW, the pistol-grip head is a marvel... So convenient that I now find myself cursing when using other (gripless) ball-heads.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, there you go- an actual user report. :)

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    +1

I'm one of the strongest supporters of the Sirui T005X here, I guess - and it has its reason. While I had a pretty small and light tripod before, it actually was too heavy and big to fit comfortably in my backpack, so I left it at home. A fatal mistake for a landscape shooter like me. So I picked up the Sirui - definitely the lightest (1kg with head, 0,8kg when you choose the carbon one) and smallest when folded (only 32 cm!) tripod that's still stable.

Is bigger better? Well, yes and no. It is better when using it. It's a thousand times worse when having to carry it - or when making the decision whether to bring it with you or not. It's like with cameras - is a Nikon D800E better than a NEX? Well, probably, but when I've got the choice which camera I bring with me, I choose the smaller and lighter one for sure.

6. Antoinem

Antoinem New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2013
    Hmmm,
    Thank's for the replies, I did not know of the sirui, I'll check it out.
    Even with the light weight it's fairly stable? I'm thinking long exposures/night photo.

Food for tought!

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I used it for nearly all shots you can see on my 500px account. So yeah, it's stable enough. Especially if you remove the middle column.