Too many lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amamba, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Warning - this is just thinking out loud, you won't miss anything if you don't read it.

I let GAS run wild for a while - easy to do when there's so many great deals on CL.

However, I got to the point I had too many lenses and wasn't using them (now granted what's too many for me is probably woefully few choices for someone else).

Also, the initial excitement of using old MF lenses wore out, and I realized a simple truth - my kids will NOT stand and pose for more than 20 sec without getting a really annoyed look and starting mumbling things about "Dad and his camera".

So, I decided to trim down my lenses a bit.

Minolta 50/1.7 (2) - I have SEL50 and don't need 3 more 50s. Will keep MC 50/1.4 for a while, but eventually will probably just use SEL. Unless 50/1.4 proves to be way better, which I don't think it is.

Minolta 70-210/4 Macro - this was a tough call, I think the copy I had was a smidgen better than the Beercan (or I just got lucky more often). But, one is enough, and Beercan is so much easier to use.

Kiron 80-200/4.5 Macro - again, a very nice portrait lens, but kids move...

Minolta W.Rokkor 28/2.8 - a very nice lens, and a very decent copy, but how many lenses do I need in same FL ? Sigma 30 is just as good and has AF.

I think I will also sell Sigma 19, I don't use this FL much except when traveling, and it have enough overlapping lenses in that range. If I go to some place with real need for a wide angle, e.g. NYC, I will likely just bring the
    12-24 along. Although it is a beast on Nex 6. But 19mm is just not wide enough for cityscapes.

I will never sell MD 35-70/3.5 Macro - this is the best all round MF lens I have. I will also keep the Kiron 28/2 - it's a useful FL, fast lens, very good IQ, hard to find in good condition, and after I accidentally killed AF on my old camera, I came to appreciate the ability to fall back upon MF in a pinch.

I also love the old Minolta Maxxum glass. It's very cheap and I am yet to find a well rated lens that didn't live up to it's reputation. There are of course drawbacks (need an initial investment in LA-EA2, noisy screwdrive, no stabilization, and slow / hunting focusing in dim light) but the IQ is fantastic and easily on par with much more expensive Sony E glass, plus Maxxum lenses (with exception of Beercan) are surprisingly tiny. Maxxum 35-70/4 is probably my best liked lens for casual walkaround, not the best bokeh but it's more than offset by great sharpness and colors and overall IQ; and while I sold Maxxum 50/1.7, it was every bit as good as SEL50 at fraction of the cost - I only kept SEL because of OSS.

What I miss is a manageable sized, high quality, not too expensive UWA and tele. Beercan and Sigma 12-24 are good quality and inexpensive (well Sigma was a gift ;) ) but hardly small. Unfortunately 55-210 is just too slow for me, and 10-18 is too expensive.

But, I have my sights set on 10-18... Long term, anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    LOL.....don't feel bad, happens to most of us...I have way more lenses than I need now, after finding a few nice quality / clean Canon FDn "L" model zoom lenses and am already starting to thin the herd of some that are duplicates or have a lot of overlap
  3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh boy, tell me about it. I am broke and still cannot control it! I have to sell and buy basically trying to have a wiser collection :D
    Canon FD lenses just got me addicted BAD!
  4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Look at the bright side - with deals on CL you probably make money selling old lenses. Helps to offset the cost of E mount gear somewhat !