1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, May 10, 2016.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Due to (my budget and my other preferences) restrictions for an uwa lens on the A7, I'm now looking to buy a Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5.

I've done a lot of research for this lens here and on other sites and I'm quite pleased with what I saw and read for the price of the lens.

Since I have a lot of MD mount lenses, I wanted to ask for opinions whether I should look out for an md mount tokina or a different mount (FD etc). Which mount you think is better for the A7 or they are all the same? Never owned anything else than MD mount lenses...

2. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    i have the lens and i think its a decent lens but i will add that i think of it as an 17mm f5.6 not f3.5 because its quite awful wideopen. But at 5.6 its usuable, the more you stop it down the sharper it gets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Nick, I had an MD copy of this lens which I used on the A7 and quit liked it. It's a nice size and well balance on the A7. I don't think which mount you get will make much difference more getting one in the best condition. The only issue I found was like most old lens it can get a lot of flare when shot into the sun. I have a small album on Flickr.

I only sold because I got the Voigtlander 15mm and it sold for nearly double what I payed for it.

Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Knew I had a photo of it somewhere. image.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    It was a while ago since i used it so i went out yesterday and shot some photos. It really is a pleasure to use, set the focus to infity and go f11 and you can use it like an point and shoot.
    3.JPG natur-20.JPG natur-21.JPG UteOFotar-6.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful work!!! Thanks for those photos :)
    I'm convinced I'm buying one - all I need to do now is find one in a nice price :)

7. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks you :) Let me know if you what any tests done

8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thank you, that's very kind
    Since you asked, what I'd like to see is how it handles flare. I've read comments that its not as good at this (not to the standards of coatings of modern lenses) but I imagine its an "issue" with uwa in general...
    For example, your first photo shows it handles flare fine but on the last photo I can clearly see some sun flares (green). Could that be cause of the A7's sensor flare?

9. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    i can upload some test pictures of flare tomorrow. In the first photo most of the sun is behind the tree and i positioned it so that it wouldn't flare. The last picture is the more common type of flare you get with the lens, often a green circle next to the light source and some red circles on the other side, it has the same flares on film cameras so its not and a7 related problem.

Edit: Found two pretty old photos which really shows some "worst case examples" of the flares you might get. digitaltskapande-2.JPG digitaltskapande-3.JPG

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1