Showcase Tokina RMC 17mm 1:3.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Jefenator, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    One of the very few extra-wide legacy bargains. I haven't compared it directly against the SEL16. (I did compare against a brand new Tokina 11-16 and I must have received a bad copy because the zoom got trounced.) Sharpness seems pretty decent.

tokina17demo-2. tokina17demo-3. tokina17demo.

My copy of the old prime may be slightly decentered - the entire right edge stays slightly mushy, even at f/11. Left side looks great, though - all the way to the corner, baby! (One solution w/ my copy would be to think in a more square-ish format like 4:5 while shooting, aim right & crop the mess away.) CA rears its ugly head but is swiftly dealt with in Lightroom. No sign of magenta cast in the corners on the N7 - least not to my untrained eye.

All in all, I'm pleased with the lens - it's a nice physical fit on a NEX IMO. It's certainly holding me over until some more enticing extra-wide solutions emerge.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    ^^ Just wow!!! Great photos and also absolutely love the post processing in the first 3 and that last photo is excellent :thumbsup:
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Nice work, fun processing.