Tokina Firin Lenses?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by firemist, Dec 3, 2017.

1. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    So where are these two or three Firins we were promised about now, in addition to the 20mm?
    It's beginning to look to me like Tokina has reassessed their potential sales (especially after the new 24-105 Sony lens) and perhaps decided against competing against Sony. Too bad Tokina can't make a decent 16-70 APS-C lens at less than $900, that would sell well.

2. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Thanks, I missed that. Still, my point that Tokina is re-evaluating the market seems valid. I'm not holding my breath.

3. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Well, Sigma has confirmed they're planning on entering the market with native E mount glass starting this coming year - I'm really hoping for slightly more compact Art lenses priced below the G masters (which are too big and expensive for my uses). Sony has some blockbuster cams in their hands now, so I think Tokina would find a foothold.

4. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    E mount I think you mean. Yes, and the fact that Sigma is a real threat might be one reason why Tokina might not want to play.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Well, their 20mm f/2 is brilliant. So, I hope they realize E-mount will be here to stay and the next contested arena lenses wise. Samyang, Sigma, (even Fuji!) and a host of startup Chinese manufacturers have already made commitments and banking on its future popularity. Canon is still the mainstay business, but Sony has overhauled the full-frame video shooter market. Sony's dedicated video bodies are also E-mount too.