1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tokina 20/2 FiRIN MF for FE mount?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by bargainguy, Aug 26, 2016.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    New Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE MF lens leaked in Japan | Photo Rumors

No official word yet, but it looks like an FE mount lens.

Interesting that Tokina chose to keep it manual focus, which certainly wouldn't bother me as much on a wide angle lens. Maybe they didn't want to deal with all the engineering and software issues arising from developing AF for different camera manufacturers, or maybe they just wanted to keep costs down by keeping everything mechanical rather than dependent on camera electronics.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Manual focus has a lot of appeal to the video crowd as well. And Samyang has proven how much of a demand there is for excellent manual-focused glass.
    It's just another aspect of the hobby for a photographer. AF and zooms gained momentum and took the market in that direction. I think mirrorless had launched a rediscovery of legacy glass and manual focus. And the pendulum will swing back in the market due to demand and interest.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Another MF lens. Yawn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I would of preferred it either in a Canon or Nikon mount and use it with the Techart Pro AF adapter!

5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I don't mind manual focus, but I do hope it reports exif like the Loxia's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    According to the press release it will report exif data!!!
    Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE MF Lens Announced
    And also it has a filter thread :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Press release from Tokina themselves
    MF lenses with EXIF capabilities are a good new trend indeed. It prompted me to post another feature request on the Sony Community, the ability to toggle peaking on/off with a single (custom) button press. Even better would be an option to switch between peaking + magnified view vs. no peaking + normal view. I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    OK, now you're starting to sound like a broken record, Jonathan :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not something I will probably get, but keep 'em coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Loxia Light? I wonder what others they plan - 35, 50, 90? The 62mm filter size gives them some flexibility.

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sure... right after I buy the Loxia.

Manual focus is easier with wide angle lenses. And as long as it, as this lens apparently does, delivers EXIF data, it'll get a lot of interest, I bet.

And here's hoping your one-button focus solution arrives in some future firmware update, Ad.

Not holding my breath, though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The rumoured price for this manual focus lens is not very tempting though... Around €1000 here...

13. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    I guess that means $799 in USA ?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  14. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Well, at Photokina they have a "roadmap" that indicates the future lenses in this "series" will all be AF, not MF, and be both prime and zoom. WTH? We have a wide MF (the 20 already shown) but a UWA that is AF? Sounds like this is nothing more than a marketing exercise to create a "premium" brand (read: higher prices) out of existing designs. So much for FiRin being an alternative to Loxia.

The possible good news here is it might spur Sigma to release native FE versions of their ART lenses....

• Like Like x 1
  15. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Well, 1000 EUR is still cheaper than 1500 EUR (Loxia 21), and it is 1 stop faster...

16. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    what would be the advantage over the rokinon fe 21/1.4?

17. Dirtistasty2

Dirtistasty2 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Depending on price, this seems like something I would get!

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    It would be around 1000€ in Europe!!!

19. heymatthew

heymatthew TalkEmount Regular

Jul 1, 2013
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Matthew
    Seems like it would be fairly compact at about 3.5 inches long or so... And they were smart enough to toss in a de-click function for the aperture which will appeal to video nuts. That being said, I'm not sure how much value this presents over the legacy options for video shooters that already have a slew of adapters, etc.

Manual focus doesn't bother me on a lens such as this, but if you can get a few manual focus legacy lenses and a decent adapter at the same or less money, I'm not sure the value for this is there other than in size...