• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Tokina 17mm 1:3.5 RMC

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
One of the very few extra-wide legacy bargains. I haven't compared it directly against the SEL16. (I did compare against a brand new Tokina 11-16 and I must have received a bad copy because the zoom got trounced.) Sharpness seems pretty decent.

---            
   ---            
   ---            

My copy of the old prime may be slightly decentered - the entire right edge stays slightly mushy, even at f/11. Left side looks great, though - all the way to the corner, baby! (One solution w/ my copy would be to think in a more square-ish format like 4:5 while shooting, aim right & crop the mess away.) CA rears its ugly head but is swiftly dealt with in Lightroom. No sign of magenta cast in the corners on the N7 - least not to my untrained eye.

All in all, I'm pleased with the lens - it's a nice physical fit on a NEX IMO. It's certainly holding me over until some more enticing extra-wide solutions emerge.

Top Bottom