1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Today's question!.....and a couple of pics.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by teefin1, Nov 5, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    So I have the Helios 58/2 and have been enjoying it very much. In fact, last night I used the Sigma 30 for AF at the local fireworks display and really didnt enjoy it at all!

A couple from today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think id like a 'fast 50' now and also something with a shorter focal length, would anyone care to recommend?

Kind Regards
    Tracy

2. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    OOh, apologies, Why are these files so huge?! Uploaded to my album and then attached through BB code, as suggested by Admin.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Love the expressions, but are they deliberately very dark ?

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    A cheap, compact and good prime is the Hexanon 40/1.8.
    It's better stopped down to 2.8, but there it really shines.
    I have a PEN 38/1.8 which is crazy good from wide open, but it's way more expensive.

5. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    On the APS-C sensor of the NEX your 58mm is effectivley a 'short tele' lens with slightly less than a 'two times' magnification on a 'standard' lens.

A 'standard lens' is one that usually has focal length equal to the diagonal of the sensor (or film) and gives a 'normal view' of about 46 degrees. For the NEX sensor this is approx 35mm or perhaps a little less.....Your 30mm is similar as it compares to a 45mm lens on 35mm film camera.

Over the last 80 years of small camera use, photographers have repeatedly used certain focal lengths more than other,...ie, the 'short tele',...the 'standard' adn the 'moderate wideangle'....a moderate wide-angle for NEX would be a 24mm and this is excellent for tight corners without distortion of perspective,..so, a good next choice!

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Same here.

A 24mm would be my vote to get a more standard perspective (as opposed to short telephoto which the Helios 58mm would be on the NEX). These lenses are usually available in f2.8 so not very fast if you're thinking of using it for low light handheld photography - but the 'wider' angle is more forgiving with slower shutter speeds.

I've got a 24mm Tamron which I won't part with... and I've got an Olympus 28mm coming, which I've yet to test.

I also would like a fast 50mm f1.4 but I'm still undecided which one to go for. There's so many to choose from...

7. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree, the first one is excessively dark, more like this?:

DSC07126 (2).

The second pic was using toy camera effect, which i find always comes out dark, althoug this may purely be a by product of my ignorance of photography and/or my camera,but i quite liked the focus across Max's eyes and not elsewhere.
    I looked up the Hex 40 on ebay, nothing available in the UK at mo, so will keep my eyes peeled, as i think 40 would be a good FL alongside the 58. A 24 sounds good, ive heard rumours that the Nex 7 has issues with wide angle lenses (not that i have the 7 yet as its been placed on back order).

8. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    A 24 or 28 would give you 36 and 42 equivalent FL. I have both a Vivitar 28/2 and a Konica 24/2.8 and like them quite a bit. 24's tend to be a bit more spendy running around $200. There are however a number of good options in that FL (like the Konica, Minolta and Olympus OM 24/2.8's). There not FAST but the NEX's ability to shoot high ISO images that look great means it's not that much opt an issue. The Vivitar 28/2 gives me a nice "normal" lens (48/2) with close focus ability. Those are bit cheaper at around $100. Something like the Konica 40/1.8 is about $50, sharp stopped down to 2.8 and very compact. That gives you a slightly longer 60mm equivalent FL.

As for fast 50's...it's really tough to find a bad one. I like Konica, Minolta and Super Takumar the best.

9. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks so much for the advice, i think ill opt for the Hex 40, seems a lovely lens and possibly the Vivitar 28/2 when funds allow. :)