Today's 05/23/15 - 31% Crescent with a plane crossing the edge of the moon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, May 23, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    I like this new challenge…interesting and a good learning exercise as well...trying to get shots of aircraft crossing or passing the moon while there's still twilight around sunset.
    First photo is another attempt to catch an airplane / moon relationship.
    Second photo is the normal black sky 31% illuminated crescent.
    Canon FDn 300/4.0 + Canon FD 2x-A Extender for 600mm on an NEX-7.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Great shots! Love the contrast and details you are getting on the darker shots. And the jet crossing is, well... a stroke of genius.
    You really are getting some great detail from that Canon 300/4. Is it an L?
    (And I've gotta say that it does not seem that my MD 300/5.6 can match the sharpness you're getting... I am loath to post my attempts from this fine Saturday evening.)
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Yes, a Canon FDn 300/ really is a great the Canon FD 2x-A Extender is designed for it so the combination really works well together
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Found out that red & blue plane is a Southwest Airlines jet...sent it to their Customer Service asking if that flight to the moon was a charter flight or a new daily service, LOL
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    A very nice capture! The moon shots from this weekend are superb. I agree, the resolution from the Canons are top notch, and I can't match it either. Tonight, tried to use a 2x teleconverter also. I got a Tamron SP 01F recently to try on my Tamron mirror lens. Yielding 1000mm. Unfortunately, it's not the matched one for their telephotos. The image was not sharp enough. Back to the drawing board.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    Man, I haven't used a tele lens in ages, but these are some mighty fine shots - keep them coming!
  8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Great shot roundball. Should hit the airline up and see if they want to buy that shot!