1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Today only - NEX-7 w/ 18-55 for $598 at B&H

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 6, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    hmm... is not that expensive? I think second hand market can give even a lower price

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I wasn't sure how good a deal it is, but new from B&H ought to cost more than second hand at any rate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, is it even valid to compare 2nd hand (used) prices with new in the box equipment? :confused:

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Indeed.. I meant is expensive considered what there is today in the market and the price tag still you have to pay.... We discussed already in the past.. if it pays to buy the nex 7 at same price as the a6000.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Good to have choices :)

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'd take the NEX-7 over the A6000 any day, and I know many would too. Still, if you are in no hurry, the A7000 is said to be released in a couple of months, so waiting might be a good choice too. As for the price - it's pretty good. I paid €650 for a used NEX-7 body 14 months ago.

7. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I'd say $598 is a great price for a NEX7 with lens. Whether its better, worse or just an alternative to the A6000 is subjective. As for the mythical A7000 has anybody got any "real" information on this other than the SAR rumour which was a SR2 (rumor from unknown sources) and even they did not give credit to the anonymous rumour. I think it is a no brainer there will be an upgrade to the A6000 this year but I would suspect it to be an A6100.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's SR4 now. I follow SAR since 2010, and SR4 pretty much means it's a fact. Also, the feature list sound pretty nice:

- uncompressed 4k video out (that'd be AWESOME!)
    - 1/8000 min shutter speed
    - weather sealing
    - similar style to the NEX-7
    - new & improved 24 MP sensor
    - new weather sealed 16-70mm Zeiss lens
    - new 16-50mm kit zoom

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-...d-aps-c-e-mount-camera-to-come-in-early-2015/

9. southy

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    No still don't see any evidence of an A7000. That rumour just says there will be a new APSC E mount above the A6000. We'll have to wait and see but I'm betting an A6100 with some of the upgrades you mentioned Poki. Even at the bottom of this rumour they still say to take the A7000 rumour with a "grain of salt". Here's hoping though, maybe time to update my NEX6.

As for SAR's I've become sceptical. Seems they take a scattergun approach, fire enough rounds and you will eventually hit the target.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If it is placed above the A6000, it is going to e an A7000 or higher. An A6100 would NOT be place ABOVE the A6000, it would much rather replace the A6000.

11. southy

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I'd call the A5100 above the A5000, both still listed as available at Sony Oz. I guess again the term "above" is subjective. The new camera could also be something like an APSC sensor in an A7 style body which would not be beyond comprehension. The SR4 rumour is very vague on details using words such as "sounds like" and even stating the source did not give any specs. Forgive me for being sceptical. I'm not saying there wont be an A7000 but I have seen a lot of hype and no actual evidence other than peoples wish lists for possible specs of such a camera.

I think at $598, if I was in the market for a 24mp APSC tri-navi style camera, I would grab that NEX7 deal. If and when a new camera comes along you could sell the NEX7 and not loose to much at that price. From what I've seen the Japan manufactured 18-55 that come with the NEX7 sell for a pretty penny on there own. I'm almost tempted to buy one just for the lens and sell off the body. Looks like its still at that price on B&H. Why wait for what is at this time nothing more than a rumour.

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I found used prices to be much lower than this was. < $300 for a pristine body. A18-55mm lens can be had for about $60.

13. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    But it's not the same price. Starting about a month ago, Best Buy blew out their open box A6000s for $389. Yes, they are technically "used". While some reported used floor models, many others got as new machines with 1 shutter activation. It went on way longer than I thought it would. It still might since at the end stock trickled in randomly.

14. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Can you say why? I recently found a pristine NEX 7 body at a dealer for $280. I decided to pass. If there are really good reasons to get a NEX 7 over a A6000 then I might see if it's still there. Yes, I know that the A6000 doesn't have the beloved tri-nav, but that doesn't bother me. Are there other reasons?

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It's mostly just personal preference and a few options available on each system.

The same debate arose with the 6 versus the 7.

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    280? How could you possibly pass such an awesome deal? I know I couldn't resist. ;)

And yep, it's tons of personal preference. But the NEX-7 indeed does have some advantages. Better build quality, a higher resolution EVF, the AF/MF - AEL - switch/button thing which is great, and the iISO hot shoe (which, arguably, is a better designed hot shoe then the new "standard" one). The A6000's two advantages are the much improved AF system as well as the better operating system. Everyone needs to decide what is more important to them. I rarely use AF and I never go into the menu, so no, I personally don't see any advantage in the A6000.

• Like Like x 1
  17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    How do you use the AF/MF AEL buttons? I though the nex 7 did not have an iso hot shot and you need an adapter
    Alex

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The AF/MF-button is, in my opinion, absolutely essential. It allows you to switch from AF to MF (and the other way around) with the press of a button, which saved me so many times. Not only because the NEX-7's AF system doesn't work well in many conditions, but also because there are situations where you need to be faster than any AF system could be - and pre-focusing with AF, pressing the button and keep shooting without having to focus again is great. Not even mentioning the method where the button acts as single time AF trigger, i.e. effectively decoupling the focusing from the shutter button.

AEL, of course, is always useful when the camera's metering gets tricked somehow - or when you want to expose for something specific.

I said the NEX-7 has an iISO hot shoe (NOT an ISO). And no, you don't need any adapter - if you use accessories which use this hot shoe. In fact, many people thought that design was far superior to the "standard" hot shoe, ever since Minolta introduced it. It's a pity that Sony decided to drop it, really. But after seeing it listed as a con at pretty much every Sony camera review, I can understand why they felt the need to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  19. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex

Hi Poki,
    thanks for your answer. I am suggesting that we announce you as the nex-7 expert. Yes that button "AF/MF" looks great. If I understand it right it cfan be considered as back button focus. So once you focus with AF and then switch to MF focus remains where it was before right? That would be essential for portraits where you try to improve posing (and subject-camera distance is the same). Do you know if the a6000 cant also do though back button focus?
    Regards
    Alex