1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

To Zeiss or not to Zeiss...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Deadbear77, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    So after a day of playing I love the zeiss 24.

Only thing is the focal length is a little wide for my taste.

Do you guys think its a better idea to sell and pick up the 351.8 and the 501.8?

Do I keep the zeiss?

It's a lot of money so I'm trying to make the best out of it.

On the other hand, the images are so sharp on the zeiss I can do some cropping without too much of quality loss.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

2. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I've been seriously considering the 35/1.8 myself. You are clearly a more experienced photographer than I am, and I don't have any idea what your IQ expectations are, but here is my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

You're right, the Zeiss is a pricey lens, although those who have it seem to speak its praises. If the focal length isn't really working for you, however, it doesn't make much sense to keep it. If you can afford to buy one of the other two lenses without first selling the Zeiss, why not do that (maybe the 35/1.8 first since it is a good all around length) and try it for a couple of weeks. If you aren't convinced that you would be happier than with the Zeiss, return it and you aren't out any cash except the return shipping. If you love it, sell the Zeiss and the you can decide if you also want the 50mm or if you want to pocket the difference.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Why did you buy the 24mm if you don't like the focal length? There's also a Zeiss 32mm, you know? ;)

4. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I got a really good deal on it.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Kevin, no matter how hard you wish it the 35 will never get any wider than 35. As you said, you can crop the 24 to a 35 fov, or even a 50 fov. The question is, are you really going to want to crop shots a lot of the time?

Therein lies your answer. ;)

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    What about the Sigma 30/2.8? Or do you really want/need the f/1.8 speed?

7. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have the sigma. I have a need for speed.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't get you. Even if it was a more than great deal - a lens with a focal length you don't like is totally useless. Sell it (or send it back if possible) and go for the 32mm Touit. Cropping should never be an option as it reduces the possible image quality by a huge amount.

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, as you already paid for it and like it, you should probably keep it. It won't be the last lens you buy (a qualified guess) and if you let it go you'll probably miss it and end up buying it again.

A wider lens is often more useful, in my opinion, and as long as it's sharp it crops well as you say. You don't have to crop too much to move from a 24mm field of view to a 35mm equivalent.

10. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I think I'm going to keep it... For now. If I find myself leaving it in the bag too often, then I will sell it.

11. GeirJ

GeirJ New to TalkEmount

Nov 20, 2012
    If I could only have one lens it would be a 35mm. Back in the old days I had an Olympus compact with a 35mm F2.8 lens. I took it with me everywhere and found it to be the perfect focal length for all round general photography. But that's just me.

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    +1

But there were always 35mm shooters and 50mm shooters, to over-simplify it. The only question is why a 50mm shooter buys a 35mm lens first. :?

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    To get the Zeiss 32mm? Sure, sell it.

To get the E35mm and E50mm? No.

14. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I'm going to get the CZ 32mm 1.8.

I love the 24. That and the new 32mm match the NEX-7 very well. I just wish there was a Zeiss 85mm.

15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    at the beginning I was very excited about the CZ 24mm, was hoping I could get a good price even now, but the price is still expensive, and now with the newSel35mm f/1.8 with OSS, sure I want it. So will sell the sigma 30mm. My favorite focal lengths are 28mm, 35mm and 50mm.
    I was shooting with the Olympus 28mm f/3.5 and Vivitar 28mm f2.8a for a few weeks so sometimes I need the AF in low light with OSS.

16. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Long before I had a lust for fast lenses, I tried out the FD 24/2.8 and 28/2.0. Speed aside, I found 28mm (=42mm) my favourite length and I actually found I could live with narrower more than I wanted to crop in post. So I finally got the 35/1.8 after a brief stint with the Sigma 30, intending it to only tide me over till the 32/1.8 came out as it was taking forever. But the longer I had it, the more I found it to be just too tremendous to give up. The OSS on it will be more missed than the extra Zeiss zing to me because my technique is probably not that great.

But if the choice is only between the 2 Zeiss primes, I'd get the 32. Not a fan of wide angle perspective distortion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

17. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Wide angle perspective distortion? Well, you'll only get that with a 35mm eq lens if you want it. It's pretty easy to avoid at this focal length.

18. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    This is a discussion I shouldn't get into because it will probably end in my storming out ;)

But I think we have to ask ourselves how much of focal length preference is real and how much is just conditioning or habit.

I often hear the 35mm is the perfect focal length, even for crop sensor photography. But I think that is just a remnant from the days of film. In those days many photographers had only one lens, for instance a 50mm lens which is roughly the equivalent of 35 crop sensor millimeters. Some classical photographers used a 35mm prime instead of a 50mm, which is double the reason for mythologising the 35mm lens.

But the fact is that if you adapt to the properties of each lens, and move around, you can take roughly the same picture with any normal, wide or tele lens (barring the extremes).

I only had a 50mm lens on my first film camera, some 25 years ago, and I remember feeling really awkward and restricted by it. It was never quite close enough or wide enough. But these days I love my 35mm (x 1.5 = 52,5mm) lens. But that's mainly because it is sharp, has great colours, nice bokeh and focuses quite close. That means it is my most versatile prime, allowing me to take anthing from decent landscapes to near-macro images with one small lens. That means I have to move around a lot, of course, but that is part of the process of finding a photograph.

The question is somewhat important as I feel that photography really benefits from open minds and that it suffers from categorical ideas or statements.

19. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Well. I'm for sure going to keep the Zeiss. 36mm crop.

The lens turbo FL 55 combo fills my need for the 50mm length (59mm with turbo) I was looking for with the sony 35 1.8 (52mm crop) to fill that need.

And the 55 without the turbo is really nice for portraits.

I will still keep my sigma set 19,30
    The 16 2.8 with wide angle adapter.

My MD sets of 135mm and 70/210's

MD 500mm

The only thing I really want now is an 85 1.4 / 1.8 in an MD mount or FD

I will be selling about 8-10 lenses for sure. Mainly fast 50's.

20. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I am very much the same way. I cover whole trips with just the SEL24.

You do realize that on these NEX cameras have a 1.5 crop factor? If you're thinking in terms of full-frame / 35mm film SLR focal lengths, on NEX, a 24mm lens is 36mm-equivalent and a 35mm lens is 52.5mm-equivalent.