To viewfind or not....?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Hugg, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hugg

Hugg TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 21, 2011
    One of the great things about having a DSLR (I imagine, not having one I can't say :( ) is having a viewfinder to get shots... somehow having the camera up against your eye is I (maybe wrongly) imagine better for getting shots. Is this a misconception? How do people coming down from DSLR to Nex find shooting through the screen? It's what I've always known to be fair, and it's a cool way of getting interesting shots that I enjoy shooting. it's the only thing that worries me about the Nex C3 though... Should I quit being a wimp?! :) Would welcome any comments, either from people upgrading (like me) or trying something different to their DSLR 'proper'.

2. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    Hi Hugg. I think it depends on what type of photos you take; for sports and action a camera with a traditional viewfinder is probably best. I find that for the types of photos I now take (i.e. nowt moves about too quickly!) the NEX screen is ideal.:D

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Viewfinders can be extremely useful in certain situations and a high-quality viewfinder can be a wonderful thing to use. I think the viewfinder is what has made the X100. However, don't discount what a good LCD screen can give you, especially like the one we find on the NEX with its ultra-high resolution and its ability to be flipped up. It gives you the ability to take shots from angles that would be impossible with a viewfinder. One of my favorite ways to use the NEX is to flip up the screen and shoot from waist level. It is quick and unobtrusive and something you could never do with a viewfinder.

4. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    Many moons ago I used to own Bronica ETRS (6 x 4.5) and Yashicamat 124 (6 x 6) film cameras. They took superb photographs. One of the joys for me was peering down into the hood at the ground glass focussing screen. The NEX is a similar experience which I also enjoy.

5. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
    There is another issue that as I have got older and need glasses the LCD is a better option than trying use a viewfinder; that said I think I would prefer a VF for micro work...I wait with baited breath as to what will become available in that department.....

6. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I'm interested on downsizing from my Nikon D90 to the NEX-C3 but I must admit I'd miss the viewfinder as it does help in steadying the camera, and that may be part of the reason for me looking at the soon to be launched NEX-5n. I see through the various rumour sites that the NEX-5n will have an EVF to attach to the flash mount and that would be the answer to any worries regarding the change from a DSLR to a CSC. The NEX-C3 is really an upgrade camera for the compact camera and bridge camera folk, but it can be an alternative for those, like myself, to reduce the size and weight of camera equipment carried.

Cheers, Macjim.

7. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    This is very true! I just recently started wearing glasses for full time use, no longer just for reading, and the LCD viewfinder has it's merits on that front.

Cheers, Macjim.

8. Hugg

Hugg TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 21, 2011
    Cheers for all the above comments. I'd not thought about the glasses point! And since I wear glasses I probably should. I agree that there is a lot to be said for a decent display for snapping; I guess I need to go and have a go with one. My old canon had a pretty grubby and miniscule screen so it'll prob seem like a dream. I sent my mum into John Lewis to have a look the other day and she said it looked awesome. Sadly, she didn't buy me one!! :)

9. Kuriizu

Kuriizu TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Viewfinder is nice to have, I do enjoy peeping through the viewfinder and trying to compose my shots. Not saying that you cannot do it with LCD, but in bright lights and reflections and such, sometimes it just doesn't work. I guess it's just the matter whether you are used to viewfinders or LCDs, whichever method suits you, I think it's the way to go, just my 2 cents.

10. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
    Having spent a few hours at a beach Crosby Merseyside I took a few shots almost 'blind' because the light on the LCD made it go almost black; it was a case of point the camera and hope for the best...fortunately most turned out reasonble much to my surprise.
    If I'd had a viewfinder I would have been happier.

11. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    P1000481. Hi Penny,

You should try a snap on hood; I got one from China on ebay for about £15. It folds out and provides sufficient protection from the glare from the sun.

12. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I think I might try Melv's suggestion, but there is a bright sunshine setting for the LCD that isn't perfect but it helps a lot.

13. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    That LCD hood looks like the cat's pajama's..... I'll have to look into one. I like looking into the LCD when the camera is on a tripod, it brings back memories of gazing through a large format ground glass. With the exception the image is right side up. A viewfinder is great for faster shooting, but I am pretty deliberate when shooting these days.

14. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    Hi Penny, try one of these. Bought it off ebay from China for about £15; does the biz, keeps glare off the screen. P1000481.

Sorry folks for double posting, believed the original post had not 'posted' and can't seem to delete this one!

15. Tymoe

Tymoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2011
  16. Simon Schofield

Simon Schofield New to TalkEmount

Aug 29, 2011
    As others have said, a viewfinder is great for action photography, as well as a 3rd contact point for steadying the camera. An LCD does have its benefits. i find its more likely to show you what your photo will ultimately look like, as well as giving you far more freedom to take shots from obscure and creative angles. A good screen, like those found on the NEX series, along with the ability to tilt the screen, and a contrast peaking indicator for focusing is certainly the best compromise for me, as somebody who has moved up from a compact P&S rather than down from a 'proper' dSLR. others on the other hand, wouldnt touch the NEX series, simply because they are too attached to use of a viewfinder, and in some cases, would have to wear glasses to be able to even see the screen. I think the need for a viewfinder is personal preference really, but both systems have their benefits.