To return or not return a lens?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JonathanF2, Aug 28, 2017.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Last week I picked up a used 85mm 1.8 FE lens from B&H. When the lens arrived, it was poorly packed and missing the hood. This morning I called customer service and they told me that the listing did not mention including the hood, just the front and rear caps. I was quite upset because I remember the listing just mentioning the condition and it did not state the hood was missing, in fact they admit omitting that part. Yet they're putting the blame on me since they said the listing stated 'front and rear caps only' and I can't really defend myself because they delete the item description from your order once it's purchased.

Considering B&H isn't the only online vendor nowadays, I was quite surprised how unhelpful they were. I've probably bought dozens of large ticket items from them throughout the years and I don't remember their customer service being this bad not to mention their poor packing.

Anyways, I'm thinking of returning the lens and not ever dealing with B&H ever again. What do you guys think? Keep it or return it?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    How poor was the packing?

3. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I'd be more concerned about the packing than the missing hood. If it stated 'front and rear caps only', then that's what you get and nothing else is implied. If an ad is difficult to understand, then send them a question.

If the lens isn't damaged, then I'd keep it.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I nearly always buy used, and assume that if an item is not mentioned or pictured, it is not included.

I too am more concerned at your mention of poor packing and poor customer service. I see B&H as having a pretty good reputation. Maybe somebody there was having a bad Monday? Not an excuse, but maybe an explanation. If I were in your shoes, I would probably not write them off just yet.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I've had nothing but trouble with them. Poor customer service at best.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The used gear is a totally separate department at B&H. And the attitude you're experiencing....doesn't surprise me, being raised in NYC.
    I've not bought any used gear from them though. But have from Adorama and KEH. Both have been relatively good to deal with, in regards to condition and shipping problems. Also refunds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes, my experience is with the used department also.

8. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    The lens was packed in a small box with only a few airbags and the actually lens box was pressed flush against the shipping box. Inside the lens box was just small amount of bubble wrap, hardly enough protection if the box was tossed or had a heavier box fall on top of it.

It was through the used department. I know I'm dealing with NYC, but coming from LA I still gave the guy an earful. Also I've had little to no problems with Adorama and packing is far more secure versus the tissue box B&H shipped my lens in! :mad:

9. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 New to TalkEmount

Aug 17, 2017
    Minnesota
    Tom Nguyen
    Long ago I ordered a used Olympus 45mm/1.8 from them.... just sh*t packaging, which surprised me. It was literally in a thin, flimsy bubble bag, and when I opened it the lens cap was off and bouncing around in there. Not acceptable from such a big company like B&H

PS--I'll still buy from them, but not from their used department again. This thread alone confirms my decision!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    IMO, you have to read the used description carefully. I've seen that from B&H, Adorama and KEH. I assumed boxes, caps, hoods, and found different items missing (this is buying used gear since 2009). So, yeah, read the description carefully and only assume it comes with what's listed. I've also called B&H before ordering to double-check what's included. Frankly, they are irritated when I call, lol, but I do it anyway.

I don't remember having any packing issues. None that stuck in my mind anyway. Living in Boston, B&H is one of the fastest shippers to me. If I lived on the west coast, I might look for options closer out there.

11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Wow, I had no idea B&H (used at least) was like this, noting for future reference. :(

On the plus side, I also have dealt with KEH, nothing but good experience there and the gear was in better condition than I expected. There is also the newish talkemount affiliate site mpb.com for used gear. I've not yet tried them personally, but they seem pretty friendly. Supporting Vendor mpb.com Deals and Announcements

12. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Adorama is way better at displaying the used item description on equipment. B&H just really disappointed me with this transaction and their shoddy packaging.

I could still buy the hood separately and still come under retail price. It's the fact that B&H has really sunk regarding how they treat their customers and the lack of care. I've bought from other retailers and I guess I've been spoiled at how meticulous others are when it comes to shipping gear.

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Will they even take it back and refund you on those reasons?

I'd say, if you bought the lens for not a major discount from retail price, call them and explain that you are thinking of returning the lens if they don't address the issue (missing hood I guess?). If on the other hand, you got a "one in a lifetime deal" on it, then source a replacement hood, keep the lens and don't buy from their used department if that's how you feel :)

14. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I explained all that and they just gave me the crappy NYC attitude (lots of east coast transplants where I live :eek:). The lens miraculously came unscathed! I'll probably keep it and just get a cheap metal hood, but now I have two 85mm lenses (one from my Nikon kit) and I'm debating what to do with the other one! :D :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    just out of curiosity, don't you have the TechArt? did the nikon not perform well on the adapter?

16. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I have the Nikon 85mm 1.8 G lens with no aperture ring. I find lenses over 58mm need additional fine tuning on the TAP. I tried several MF 85mm lenses and most legacy 85mm lenses aren't that sharp or just too bulky.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think it's time to part with the Nikkor G. The performance from the FE 85 f/1.8 is superb!! Hard to tell apart from the Batis for sharpness.

18. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    DXO Mark scores them pretty close. I like the Sony 85mm 1.8 FE because it looks nicer and is silent for video, but I can adapt the Nikon 85mm across both my Nikon and Sony kit using the Commlite Nikon AF adapter. Decisions!

19. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah, I forgot you have Nikon gear.