1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tips using IR Remote Control on the NEX-7 ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Feb 5, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just ordered one of these inexpensive remotes to use with my NEX-7.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MQWN40/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item_image

Curious if there are some tips & tricks others have experienced using an IR remote with the NEX-7 ?

For example, the IR receiver is on the front of the NEX-7.....but the majority of the time I see myself using the remote would be shooting wildlife and I'll be sitting next to or behind the setup.
    I saw one post where it was suggested to cut a reflector out of a piece of aluminum can and mount it so it sticks up in a couple inches in front of the sensor to bounce the IR signal back into the sensor if trying to activate it from behind. That would be easy enough to do but I guess I'm wondering if that's a common understanding..is it truly necessary, etc?

Also wondering what other tips there might be available?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I never tried that reflector trick. I've just held the IR remote in front of the camera (but out of view) and clicked away. IR signals are highly directional. It's light, after all. I don't see any realistic way of making the light turn a corner.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I might give the reflector trick a go as it is annoying to have to be pointing pretty much right at the front of the camera.

I use it mainly for macro and sometimes getting the remote out of the shot and still able to hit the receiver is tricky if the working distance is very short.

I have used it to good effect a couple of times when taking group shots including me in it - the 2s delay option is very handy there as you it gives you a chance to get your hand behind you again before it shoots.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    At least glad to know the RC works...but I have to say the idea of having to use a piece of Schlitz beer can to make an expensive camera's feature work better just strikes me as kind of rinky-dink...LOL.

Surprised somebody hasn't made a little fiber-optic accessory that clamps over the sensor and sticks up an inch above the camera with a little 360* uni-direction collector bulb on top of a fiber optic tube or something...probably not enough of a market for such an investment.

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    PM this guy, he might make you one like his ;)
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38298092

I was thinking the same thing though, would be a simple device to make but the market is too small.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...well the tape job is.....well

But the mirror job is creative

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Having LOL'd and then thought about it a bit - I might actually buy one, its actually pretty nifty!

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thought just occurred to...there must be some way I can preset the NEX-7 into Video mode before using the RC, or the RC will just operate the normal shutter in photo mode, right?
    So far, can't find anything in all the menus on how to do that...or is the selection on the RC units themselves ???

9. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Sony's Remote Commander will trigger video. Also there is at least one still/video IR remote available. I purchased one and it works fine (for an IR remote)

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You can bounce it off your hand, but if you're that close you should be able to reach the front of the camera. Business card or any other similar thing taped to the camera will work as well. Anything that will reflect light.

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    In digging deeper I found that the generic one I'd ordered would not do video...bit the bullet and got a Sony coming through Amazon

12. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    I used a JCC's one and it works fine from behind the camera, but I haven't tried it for more than 2 meters away.

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    That's encouraging, assuming you're referring to an NEX-7 which is what I have.

I'm hoping they'll be strong enough to work from various directions being that close.
    And I'll still make / get some sort of reflector, test it out, etc, to be ready for a possible longer use from behind if need be.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The Sony RMT-DSLR2 remote control arrived today, and works flawlessly on my NEX-7…including that it starts & stops video just like it should.

TESTING VIDEO OPERATION FROM BEHIND…..INSIDE THE HOUSE:
    I tried it from behind as far away as 25 feet and it worked perfectly…I assume from all the reflection off of things inside the house;

TESTING VIDEO OPERATION FROM BEHIND…..OUTSIDE THE HOUSE:
    It would not work from behind until I got up behind it and then I assume it only worked because of bounce back off the side of a good size lens I had on the camera at the time.

I picked up a sheet of highly reflective stiff paper from a craft store and will cut some ‘reflector strips’ from it.
    The way my half case fits around the right side of the NEX-7 grip, I’ll be able to slide a reflector card down between the front wrap of the half case & the camera’s grip to hold it snug right in front of the sensor.
    In fact, it’ll be so close, I’ll probably have to bend the strip flat away from the camera grip at a 90* angle, then about an inch out, fold it back upright.

I’ll try a couple different approaches in the next day or so and post back with photos, but bottom line, the Sony RMT-DSLR2 works like a charm with video on the NEX-7.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    OUTSTANDING TEST RESULTS USING SONY REMOTE COMMANDER FOR VIDEO FROM BEHIND THE NEX-7 USING AN IR REFLECTOR.

02/09/14
    Sony NEX-7
    Sony Remote Commander unit: RMT-DSLR2
    Testing use of Remote Control for Video from behind the NEX-7.

I made an IR Reflector using a little ready-made fluted cup from a home furnishing place.
    (Bed, Bath & Beyond)

The mounting strip I simply cut from the wall of a clean / empty tuna fish can.
    (wrapped strip with a layer of heavy scotch tape to avoid scratching the camera)

Epoxied the little fluted cup to the strip of metal.

Photos show the size / shape I ended up with.

I tested starting / stopping the video from behind the camera in 3 foot increments.
    Worked fine all the way back to around 24-25 feet before operation became unreliable.

• Like Like x 4
  16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Improved version of homemade Remote Control IR Reflector for NEX-7.
    Larger reflecting surface is from a large curved hard plastic divider used in large 3 ring notebooks to keep manuals separated.
    The surface is covered with a piece of heavy duty highly reflective craft paper from a craft store, super-glued in place.
    (same light soft tuna can metal used for support, wrapped with a thick piece of heavy duty scotch tape).
    Ready for some live testing on some wildlife in the near future.

• Like Like x 2
  17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Got a chance to use the above improved homemade version of the IR Reflector yesterday, worked perfectly.

• Like Like x 1