Tips on adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pixael, Aug 1, 2013.

1. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    Hi guys
    My first post here. I've got a new 5r and I'm enjoining it. Just a bit disappointed with the lenses range, I was thinking to buy an adapter. As I know there are no adapters that allow to autofocus. Is that correct? I would buy a Nikon adapter do you own one? Any experience?
    Thank you very much.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TalkNEX mobile app

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Almost all adapters are without any electronics in them. However, there is a Metabones NEX -> Canon EF adapter that supposedly allows AF. I have no experience with it and it's expensive so possibly only worthwhile if you have some serious Canon EF(-S) glass.

3. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    Thank you very much I'll check it out.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What he said.

1- You open your self up to a whole widerange of lenses, many of which can be had for a fraction of the cost.

2- Other than the aforementioned Metabones, you loose AF. This is a mixed bag. I really love MF, and the NEX handles it brilliantly. However there are times when it is so much easier to AF.

5. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    If you want to use Sony A-mount lenses with auto focus, you can get the LA-EA2 adapter (pricey... you can find it for around $250 used). This adapter contains built-in translucent mirror technology, essentially converting your NEX to a DSLR using Phase Detection focusing, which is much faster than contrast detection. I have one and it works great, but I only got it because my wife has a collection of A-mount lenses that we can now share. May not make sense to spend the money if you don't already have A-mount lenses.

6. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    As far as I am aware, there are currently no adapters for Nikon lenses that provide auto-focus capability on a NEX. Sony does offer adapters that will allow auto-focus with the Minolta and Sony A-mount lenses.

I have a large collection of Minolta Maxxum auto-focus lenses, so I bought the Sony LA-EA2 adapter and have been quite satisfied with the results. For a relatively small investment it gave me access to a very complete set of auto-focus lenses - most of which I already owned.

FWIW, I also have a number of manual-focus lenses for which adapters for use on a NEX are very inexpensive.

- Tom -

7. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    Thank you very much guys I really appreciate your help. I guess I should improve my ability to MF as with the peaking feature it's easier on Sony cameras. It will really open up a new world to me as he said :)

8. Savageajc

Savageajc TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm in the same boat as you, working on my MF with the 18-55. I just ordered a
    Minolta md --> e mount and canon fd -> e mount adapter from amazon this morning. Now going to scour Craigslist for some Minolta/fds

9. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    I guess I'll go for a Nikon adapter as I have some Nikon lenses.