1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tips for night shots

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by puckpack, Oct 8, 2013.

1. puckpack

puckpack TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Hi,

I am newer to this forum and photography in general. I have a 5r and am struggling to take night shots.

I use a tripod and both native and legacy lenses. Any tips? Here are a few samples.
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1381280778.906750. ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1381280801.017377. ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1381280745.736847.

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Depends on what effect your looking for in your shots. What do you think is wrong with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. puckpack

puckpack TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    My photos seem fuzzy. The photos posted here seem so clear and amazing.

I want my photos to pop, they seem kind of flat .

4. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You should start by telling how you took the pics, what lens used and if you used a tripod.
    Shutter speed, aperture....

Let us know and I can try to tell you how to correct it.

5. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I see you used a tripod, well off the bat, your second shot doesn't seem to be focused to infinity.

Night shots should in my point of view, always be shot manual focus.
    If your using an emount lens it's a bit harder.

Use focus peaking and focus on one star and try to make it as small as possible on your screen. That's when you will hit infinity.

Depending on your focal length will depend on your shutter speed and ISO also how fast is your les ex 2.8,3.5 ect

Poki is the master of night shots, I'm sure he will get involved with an answer.

6. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    I took a pretty decent shot using only moonlight mate, using about a twenty second exposure. if you like moon shots, shoot it in black and white for better contrast. Focus on the brightest star you can find, use a low ISO and remember the moon moves so your shutter needs to be fast enough to compensate at about 1/125 at least. Use a remote release avoid camera shake. If you have several elements you want in the frame at different levels of light, take an exposure for each one and then stack the shots to get them all in one frame.
    Try light painting too, it's a lot of fun. Get some steel wool ( fine grade ), light it with a nine volt battery and chuck it around, see how it looks !