Tips for best settings on A6000 please

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by guybe, Aug 3, 2017.

1. guybe

guybe New to TalkEmount

Apr 12, 2017
    UK
    Hello

I bought a new A6000 a few months ago and really pleased with it and would like to ask some questions for advise of the settings on the camera's menu please, there is a few that I am not really sure which is best to use.

1. DRO/Auto HDR, I am using 'D-Range Optimizer: Auto', would help on the colours?

2. Long Exposure NR, I have set 'on' and that would improve long shot?

3. AEL w/shutter, on or off or auto? I got it on 'auto' I am lost which one is best?

4. Lens Comp, I have it set 'auto' on all shading comp, chro aber comp, and distortion comp. good choice?

5. Smile/Face Detect. do you find this useful taking family shots where you want all their faces in focus together in one photo? I also switch the soft skin effect on at soft setting aswell.

I shoot both Raw and JPEG setting, if photo is not good then I can try save it using Lightroom, if the family photos come out nicely in JPEG then I will use it.

Any advice/tips will be much very helpful and thanks.

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    As a relative newbie here myself, and a very amateur photographer too, the best advice I can give you is, try all the settings to see which suits you best. You won't hurt your camera trying them out and only you will be able to tell if it works better for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I think most of us can give you our preferences, but I have to agree with @AlwaysOnAuto@AlwaysOnAuto. See what works best for you.

We can explain the purpose of each setting if that's what you want to know, but factors like workflow, subject, lens, lighting and more will factor in on the settings.

1. DRO/Auto HDR, I am using 'D-Range Optimizer: Auto', would help on the colours? This is to expand (HDR) or Optimize (DRO) the dynamic range. Think dark and light, shadows vs highlights; ; not color.

2. Long Exposure NR, I have set 'on' and that would improve long shot? This will cause the camera to take an additional dark frame exposure every time you take a long exposure shot. The camera uses the dark frame shot to identify hot pixels on generated by the heating of the sensor and removed them from the final image. The idea is that if there is something on the original image and the dark frame image, it must be a hot pixel. I would only use it if you see many hot pixels in your images. Otherwise, you will be waiting for the camera to finish the second shot before you can use it again.

3. AEL w/shutter, on or off or auto? I got it on 'auto' I am lost which one is best? This is a preference thing. This is preference and situational. Do you want to lock your exposure when you half press the shutter? This allows you to then move the camera and retain the exposure from when you first half pressed.

4. Lens Comp, I have it set 'auto' on all shading comp, chro aber comp, and distortion comp. good choice? This depends on the lens and workflow. If you shoot raw, this can all happen in your raw processor. They often do a better job than the camera. Also some Sony cameras bake shading comp into the raw file.

5. Smile/Face Detect. do you find this useful taking family shots where you want all their faces in focus together in one photo? I also switch the soft skin effect on at soft setting aswell. This is a matter of preference. It could be great or it could be frustrating because it doesn't always work and it can slow focus trying to decide if it sees a face causing you to miss the shot. I won't even touch the soft skin thingy :hmmm:

Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. guybe

guybe New to TalkEmount

Apr 12, 2017
    UK
    I would like to say thank you to you both for your advice especially WestOkid, good sound tips and I have taken board and made a few adjustments to try out this afternoon on the camera. It always good to learn and improve, cheers guys.

5. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    If a photo is not good I deal with it using the delete option on the camera

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I dont use the soft skin thing either and Im carefull when using the face detect since it make the camera choose where to focus not you, may be helpfull but can be frustrating when trying to focus on other things when there are people in the frame.

7. lamontcranston

lamontcranston New to TalkEmount

Jul 18, 2017
  8. guybe

guybe New to TalkEmount

Apr 12, 2017
    UK
    Thanks for the input soeren and lamontcranston