Tip for shooting in BW?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by dixeyk, Nov 13, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    At the moment I shoot in RAW and convert. It's a habit I picked up when I was shooting Fuji because I do didn't like the Fuji JPEGs at all (I know I am in the minority with that). With my 5n I did quite a lot of JPEG shooting and it worked out well. I never shot in BW however and the possibility intrigues me. I did a few shots with my Konica 40 and tweaked the BW creative style by bumping contrast and sharpness to +2 and it's looking pretty Tri-X like. Does anyone have other any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Kevin,

I've used "High Contrast Black & White" found in the creative settings. It gives you a very nice B&W monochromatic look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I was wondering about that. I'll play with it. Thanks.

4. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Goodpostsmelikekeepthemcoming :)

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    My favorite digital B&W look at the moment is achieved with my EOS-M camera body, which has less dynamic range than the Sony bodies but things just seem to come out more "punchy" with my RAW / Lightroom workflow. (I've tried to match the look with Sony captures but it's not as simple as bumping up the "contrast" slider.)
    My B&W preset in Lightroom converts to B&W and bumps the "clarity" slider up to +45.
    The "Tri-X" look is what I'm going for (as opposed to T-Max, which I never took to...)

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    For me, part of it is the lens. I find that my Konica 40 helps me produce very Tri-X looking images much more easily than some of my other lenses and I think that is due in part to the Konica being more contrasty than my Minoltas. I also use a pretty cool BW conversion tool call Tonality Pro (Silver Efex Pro 2 also works well).

BUT, I'd love to see if I can get close to that look without having to process. Probably not but it'll be fun to try.