Time Lapse App Exposure Question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by loonsailor, Mar 20, 2013.

1. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I've just bought the time laps app for my Nex-6. I've never done any time lapse work, and I'm wondering the best way to manage exposure. For stuff that doesn't change - night time moving stars, etc. - I'll just use manual. But I'm curious about shooting, say, around sunset. Does auto-exposure work out OK to handle the changing light conditions, or will it cause exposure to jump around in a distracting way?

Although it's annoying to be required to pay an extra $10 for it, the time laps app actually looks pretty nice.

2. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Yeah, I'd like to know more about this aswell
  3. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Unfortunately, with the Sony Timelapse app exposure is fixed at the outset. So for example if you are shooting a sunset and you expose correctly for your first fairly bright frame you will find you are recording nothing but black frames after a little while.

Pretty awful really. I guess you could manuallly over-expose in this situation, and PP it a little? Not had time to play with that yet.
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I'm rather cheesed at Sony for charging $10 for this feature...little ridiculous considering how much you pay for the camera!

Anyways...sounds like Skipperjonce is right...here's what dpreview had to say about it:

"It's worth pointing out that the camera locks the exposure on the first shot, so if the lighting in your scene is going to change dramatically (such as the transition from day to night), you might not get the desired results. We took several time lapse sequences of sunset and once the sun went down, the scene became too dark. It would've been nice to have an option to turn exposure lock on or off."