1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tilt-shift lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nighttrain, Jan 30, 2015.

1. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    I've been interested in trying out a tilt/shift lens. Prices for most of these are out of my budget, so I was considering a Lensbaby Sweet 35. But then I discovered a couple of interesting alternatives. One option being the DIY instructions on a site by Bhautik Joshi, http://cow.mooh.org/projects/tiltshift/diyguide.html

Some of you also may be familiar with the Johnnyoptic site, which offers inexpensive tilt lenses for Nikon and Canon, http://johnnyoptic.com/.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with either of these sites and building or buying these inexpensive lenses? Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Kippon makes a few tilt shift adapters. They are about 300 USD but they don't have it for CY or PK mount so it isn't for me.

I think that I will experiment with these freelensing lenses some day. My idea is to start from Tamron 28mm Adaptal lens and Adaptal to E-mount adapter. I will replace the tube with self made bellows. The reason for adaptal is their huge flange focal plane distance, the E-mount adapter is something like 4 cm in length.

3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    These days Im having a lot of fun with the lensbaby tilt transformer. The pricetag is somewhat steep but luckily I found one for a 1/3 of the price at a sale. Its a simple design and for Nikors only but of good quality. Biggest downside is its taking a lot of the focusrange with wides but maybe I can get around that with a narrow extensiontube.
    Best regards

4. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    180mm AIS @ f/2,8

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. pcbelize

pcbelize New to TalkEmount

Mar 7, 2015
    I have done a lot of tilt-shifting with my various nexs (5, 5r and a6000) and medium format Pentacon mount lenses. The ones below were taken with a Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/180. It is a huge and fairly heavy lens but with crop sensor gives plenty of distance for things like sports.
    Green Team-D Goalie 3. Green Team-D. Green Team-E D N. Green Team-E S.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    Hadn't really considered it for action. Interesting shots!

7. pcbelize

pcbelize New to TalkEmount

Mar 7, 2015
    I use the Arsat tilt adapter, which typically costs around $125. One of the things I really like about this option is that you can by high quality medium format lenses for a faction of the same lenses in the 35mm formats since there is a much smaller market for them.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have shift lenses and use them occasionally. The Olympus OM Zuiko Shift 35/2.8 is a good lens IMHO, the Minolta Shift 35/2.8 is part of my collection but is neither as good nor as useful as its Olympus counterpart. I don't care for Lensbaby stuff and the likes because image quality isn't what I want. I'm also a bit sceptical about medium-format lenses shifted because their resolution didn't need to be as high as for 135 format lenses and not using the center part of the image won't help exactly either; moreover, the longer focal lengths available aren't as attractive to me.

If you want tilt and/or shift on an APS-C camera, a tilt/shift adapter with a legacy 135 format lens would be a useable option, depending on your image quality and focal length requirements. I once used a Nikon PC-Nikkor 55/3.5 with excellent results on the NEX-6, on a Fotodiox shift adapter which quickly exhibited all kinds of unwanted play; most other lenses aren't good enough when shifting to the edges and distortion can be hard to combat. I now use a Minolta Auto Bellows III with tilt/shift capabilities in combination with a Minolta Auto Bellows Macro 100/4 and that works very well with great results, although you can only tilt and shift in horizontal directions. Sometimes bellows units pop up on eBay that offer more capabilities and I'll snap one up when the right one comes along.

9. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Ad I think youve misunderstood the Lens baby Tilt transformer. Its merely an Nikor- Emount adapter alowing tilt to be performed.
    In its basic there is no glass in it though you can get some lens baby optics for/with it

The only negative I can say about it is that its Tilt only, no shift so if that's what you meant well then I have misunderstood you :)
    Best regards Søren

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You're right, I was referring to Lensbabies with optics in them.