1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thunderbolt GPU solution for faster processing

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Poki, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm still quite happy with my Mac Mini, but processing times when editing batches of photos or a video could be a little faster sometimes. So I thought about upgrades, and the only thing that's not as fast as it gets today is the GPU. So, does anybody use an external GPU via Thunderbolt successfully?

I've read into this topic quite a bit, and it seems that Thunderbolt is fast enough to get 85% out of a high-end card like the GTX 680, which is enough for me. Also, Mac OS Mavericks seems to include drivers for the whole GeForce GT 500 series (not sure about the 600 series), so drivers are not a problem. The problem is finding a Thunderbolt PCIe case that actually works with GPUs under OS X. People seem to have very different results with this - for some it works and for some it doesn't. So the question is: Why? If anybody knows a setup that works for sure (and doesn't cost more than €1k just for the case) please share with me.

My setup:
    Mac Mini (late 2012)
    Intel Core i7-3612QM (4 x 2,3 GHz)
    16GB DDR3 RAM (1800 MHz, CL9)
    Intel HD 4000
    256GB SSD
    Apple 27" Thundebolt Display

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am going to do some testing with GPU parallellizations some time. They have lots of potential for that and image processing algorithms are easy to parallelize.

Unfortunately I am Linux/Windows side. I have only GT640, plenty of power for experiments.