1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Three sisters

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by fractal, Dec 7, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I did another photo shoot. Still Family as I'm not ready to start charging for my work. All of these were with the NEX-7 + SEL 50mm 1.8 unless otherwise noted. C&C welcome.

DSC02103-X2.

DSC02127-X2.

DSC02287-X2.

DSC02188-X2.

DSC02132-X2.

DSC02251-X2.
    DSC02116-X2.

Used Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 for this,

DSC02174-X2.

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Beautiful.

Nice mix of traditional and more casual shots.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful ladies and great shots! Last two photos are my favorites :thumbsup:

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nice work Chris. I know it's outside, but are these all just natural light? You did a great job with exposure.

5. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks Gary! I used a reflector and sometimes some fill flash. I had to pay my daughter $10 however to be my assistant, which means I actually lost money on the job. :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    OK. that explains the great light. Fantastic coordination between you and your assistant.

That said, get a business manager to help you out before these photo shoots break you. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Great shots Chris. :2thumbs:

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I bet they're happy with them, huh? I'm no portrait shooter, but the "natural" poses are the ones I like the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    "A 'Winner' Series" as far as I'm concerned....all good, with #1, 3, 6, & 7 my favorites

10. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Very nice. All good.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I like the first one best. It has the back lit glow, but the faces are well exposed. The others have an over-exposed glow to their faces, which isn't my preference. Of the color portraits, it's the one by the water I like next. The chair shot next.
    Interesting comparison with the vintage Minolta for the last shot with the one above it. How the colors are rendered.

12. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks for the feedback Will. I learn more each time I go out on a "shoot". The ones you recognized as overexposed were when I used fill flash. It was a bit frustrating at the time because I could not shoot faster than 1/160 sec and my EVF showed me I was overexposed. At the time I convinced myself I could fix it in post ( and I think PP worked fairly well ), but I could not completely eliminate that washed out look. Luckily, the girls liked that. Having to do it over I would have dialed down the power of my flash until my exposure looked better or just rely on the reflector.

As you alluded to, as much as I like the color rendering of the SEL 50mm, I think the colors from the Minolta were richer. At least on this day and it may had to do with the Minolta shot being more in the shade vs. direct light, but I've always liked the colors it produces.

13. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    These are so great. Like #4 (the walking sisters) the best.

14. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah, thanks for the explanation Chris. Your photography is excellent, and the portraiture development is fast approaching the same levels as your other works. Not surprised your kids and family are thrilled.

15. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Fractal,

This is nice work. I struggle with posing in my work, but these look great to me. I like the candid feel of the walking sisters. The chair shot has a strong composition. Re: exposure I agree with WNG's comments in post #11. I like colors and rendering best from the Minolta.

To my eyes, your skin tones tend to be a little more yellow than I prefer.

For group portraits where people have differently bright skin, I have applied a very subtle radial filter on their faces in LR to get them more balanced (in this set I like the exposure on the sister in the grey sweater but find the other two overexposed).

HTH

16. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Wow they look so different from one another. Prefer color images.