Three Hummingbirds w/a6000 & 24 1.8

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Pitter, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Speckled Hummingbird

Buff-tailed Coronet

Booted Racket-tail

I don't like taking them at feeders but he (and this is adult male) won't perch anywhere close for the camera. The reason I can take photos from so close is that they know they can't be caught and really want that sugar water.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Great shots, and I like that unique looking 'Booted Racket-tail' version
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Well done
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Amazing shots. I know how hard it is to get close to hummingbirds. A lot of Nicaraguan hummers won't come to a feeder unless they learn from migrating ruby-throats (had five species in the yard at my first house here and the only birds who used the feeders were Baltimore Orioles and one Tennessee Warbler. How did you get that close with a 24mm lens or were these cropped? You have amazing feather detail.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Thanks MizOre. I can't understand why you wouldn't have hummingbirds come to a feeder except that there are some species that just don't like the Hermits. At 2100m I'm in the "hot zone" for hummers in Colombia and have had twenty five species visit my yard. My photos were cropped but I was only about eighteen inches away. They land close to the feeder. The photos were just an experiment as that's obviously not the right lens for birds. I also put out ripe bananas on a board close to shrubbery every day and have had dozens of bird species come to that as well as possum and kinkajou. I bet that would work for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    From everyone here I've talked to, the hummers here have to learn to come to feeders from the migrating ruby-throats. I'm in a house now that doesn't have a large yard, so not so possible.
  7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011