Threads in this subforum should be titled manufacturer first, then focal length, then other info

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The purpose of this forum is to have a single image sample thread for each lens.

Threads in this forum are sorted alphabetically by manufacturer and focal length and should be titled using the format "Manufacturer | Focal length | f-stop | Additional information" even if their name is usually written in a different order.

For the purpose of sorting by focal length, please do not put anything between the manufacturer name and the focal length.

Examples of correct titles:
    • Sony 55mm f/1.8 FE ZA Sonnar T*
    • Sony 70-200mm f/4 G FE OSS

Threads won't "bump" in this forum; they will stay in alphabetical order so as to be easier to find. They will still bump in terms of their positions on recent and unread post lists.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'd be happy to oblige, also for the threads I already posted but there's no way I can change the post's title?

3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    But this is an adapted lens forum then why the FE lenses:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    You should be able to edit titles in either of these two ways.

Forum view:

index.

Thread view:

thread.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Got it, edited my threads' titles.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    OK, me too. I've edited my thread titles. Please erase my name from the "bad book." :hide:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm going to slowly chip away at fixing all the thread titles.

8. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Just curious, for adapted legacy lenses, would it be helpful to have the mount type, like M, CY, FD, FL, F, EF, MD, MC, etc. follow the manufacturer prior to the focal length, like Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 or Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor-X? Or, as with FE and E, the mount follows the focal length and f-stop rating, like Minolta 50mm f/1.4 MD Rokkor-X.

Edit: The only reason I mention it is the thought that including the mount earlier would be helpful in distinguishing what sort of adapter to use, especially for brands like Minolta, Canon, Zeiss and Leica that have several mount versions/designations for otherwise similar lenses (re: focal length and aperture).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hm. It seems to me that in a sample image thread, the mount should only marginally affect image quality. So I think mentioning the mount in the first post should suffice. Anyone curious about the lens will easily uncover the available mount options.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Okay. It was just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I think keeping the mount name in the title makes sense, but putting it after the focal length helps people find it amongst other lenses of the same manufacturer and focal length. So instead of "Canon FD 50mm f/1.4", "Canon 50mm f/1.4 FD".

It isn't how the manufacturer named it, but it keeps things organized.

On a related note, I'm going to change all the "Carl Zeiss" lenses to "Zeiss" as the company itself has done, likewise all the Leitz to Leica.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I see your point and agree.
    Often two lenses from the same maker with same focal length and aperture can be very different and distinct in optical performance. One example is the Minolta 50/1.4... very different b/w MC, MD, and certainly A mount versions. Same could be said for many of the other brands' 50s as well.
    And since different manufacturers name/label their lenses differently, your unified scheme makes a certain amount of sense for making things easier to find for the most people.
    Getting all the threads retroactively labeled... I don't envy you that task. I'll check any I created and change them accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Already done with A through R. Only S-Z to go :).

• Wow Wow x 2
  14. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow! You're quick.

15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's why he makes the BIG bucks. :2thumbs:

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Amin for getting this organised !
    Will you also merge duplicates for the same lens, as I noticed there are several on this forum.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes, it might take me a while though!

• Like Like x 1
  18. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for confirming Amin and for working on this and fully understand it will take time.
    Disciplined naming conventions are a challenge everywhere, also at work !

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1