Thoughts on the Sony F20M Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by davect01, Nov 6, 2015.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I use it and like it very much. Pretty powerful for it's size. Bounce mode is especially nice indoors.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    hmm that does look nice for the $

Wish i'd shelled out the xtra $ for the phottix mitros + I just got the Regular Phottix Mitrox. Still an excellent flash imo (which means zilch cuz its the first flash i've owned cept kit flash with nex5r) saving up to get the mitros + as it has a built in transmitter and would be able to fire both flashes off camera .... sorry i got sidetracked

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thanks for the info folks.

I like the idea if keeping it small. There are nice flashes out there, but they are huge. This flash seems to be keeping in the "compact system" tradition.

I'll read these later.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    I had one with my NEX-6, and it was "ok" IMO, nothing special. I would look at something like the i40 from Nissin, as it give you the ability to adjust the bounce angle, adjust the head left/right for bouncing when shooting in portrait orientation, etc. It only costs $100 more than the flash you suggested, but is much more versatile and well worth the price difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A nice flash. I am trying to keep it small.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    They're about the same size, and as ijm5012 says, it's a much better flash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't doubt the Nissin is better, but it is definitely more bulkier than the Sony. I tried both at B&H and the only reason I went with the Sony was the size. It's less than an inch think and allowed me to carry it in my normal walkabout bag. Something not possible with the Nissan unless it replaced a lens.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    Here's an on camera comparison for your sake. Ultimately you can do what you want, but I'm just sharing my experience with you having owned an F20M and an NEX-6. The i40 is a much more powerful flash, much more versatile, it can do high speed shutter, and has manual controls for when the situation calls. Again, for about $100 more, it seems like a no-brainer if you want to get a more powerful flash, as the F20M really isn't buying you a whole lot.
    16465769865_e6f117d20f_b.

15843258554_8587cd14a0_b.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

No doubt it is a better flash, thanks for the images

Attached Files:

12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'm not ready to jump into a new flash just yet (liking the DIY bounce aspect of the built-in flash on the a6000 so far), but in addition to the Sony F20M, I've been keeping an eye on the Metz Mecablitz 26 AF-1 announced earlier this year as a compact alternative. It's still "coming soon" for Sony MI-shoe, but seems to be out for other brands and has a few nice extra features.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._2631691s_mecablitz_26af_1_digital_flash.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hey I was going to mention that one :( :D