1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Those who have them...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Aug 7, 2016.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I bought a PEN F as a carry around camera, and while nice, the specter of knowing that chip is small haunts me. I'm thinking about trading it for an A7.

For those of you so equipped, I need to relate AF speed/accuracy to something I know. How does the A7 compare to an A6000 in AF, and maybe to an A7ii? I have both of those, so comparisons can be made that I'd understand.

I LOVED the NEX-6, but at some point the AF was just not there in comparison to the A6000, and it had to go. If the A7 is in that league, I'd skip an A7. We're taking an extended vacation in December and I don't want to take a lot go gear. The PEN F fit that profile nicely, being such a tiny kit, but as of now I'd take my A6300 (or A6000) and a couple of lenses instead. I don't care about video.

2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Ha, I'd love to trade my A7 for a Pen F! The A7 is nice, but the Pen F outclasses the A7 in everything, but sensor size!

Since the release of the Commlite Nikon AF adapter for Sony, my A7 II has morphed to be part of my Nikon FF kit. I've now split my kit between Nikon and M43. All my Nikon lenses work adequately on my A7 II, so I see no point buying any native FE glass at this point.

My EM5 II bodies are used mainly for travel and using my two favorite M43 lenses; the 8mm 1.8 FE and 75mm 1.8 primes. I also use the 60mp high res mode and have produced wonderful 20x30 prints which are hanging in my living room.

With the recent FW upgrades on the A7, AF speed isn't much an issue. I find it quite snappy.

3. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I want a Pen F, I am waiting for prices to drop or for some refurbs to become available.

4. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    There have been refurbs already, $979 I believe...

5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Latest refurbs were down to $799 from Beach Camera and Buy Dig!

6. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I knew it was 7s and 9s... LOL!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013

Wow, I have to keep watching for one...

8. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Does the Pen-F accept legacy lenses ?

9. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm was really tempted when I saw the deal, but I have two E-M5 II bodies already. While I prefer the image quality from the Sony for general shooting, I do use the E-M5 II hi-res mode a lot off a tripod and the Olympus 8mm 1.8 Fisheye is one of the best ultra wide angle lenses I've used. I also adore my 75mm 1.8 lens and those two lenses aren't readily available in other formats.