Thomas Edison National Historical Park

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by WestOkid, Jun 22, 2015.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Last year I visited Thomas Edison National Historical Park in West Orange NJ to take in a little history and capture some shots. It's a really captivating place. Visit it if you are ever in the area. Yesterday I decided to go back. The factory/lab area is hauntingly the same as it was when it was a working factory and laboratory creating things like the motion picture camera and sound recorder.
    This set is a mix of old and new shots from the factory area. I revisited my old shots because last year my post processing skills wouldn't allow me to get the most out of the shots. I honestly just converted everything to b&W to better cope with the noise from the high ISO. Luckily I shot raw so I was able to revisit and reprocess this time in color. Here are the results:

Coat and hat rack.jpg

Drill Press.jpg

Work stations.jpg

Machines 1.jpg

Cooling System.jpg

Machine rooms.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I remember the shots from your last visit, Gary, and if I'm guessing correctly that #5 & 7 are new, I'd say that in addition to your raw development skills, you’ve been working on your appreciation of light and composition too.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Actually 5 & 7 are just reprocessed and to your point, composition is tweaked as with others. The last 3 are new. Not my best work, but the place was closing and I had decided to use the pics I had.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Nice series Gary! My favorites are #3 and #9 :thumbsup: Their color tones have a special "retro" feel to them which I really like.
    The B&W conversion usually works for these themes but I actually like the color version and your post processing work

Looks like a place with difficult lighting conditions (dark-ish with areas of strong lighting entering) which is apparent in the last photo with the light entering from the windows on the left.
    Again nice work ;)
  5. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks Nick. The lighting conditions are bad, but made worse by the time of day. Your right about the last shot; it is not good. I just wanted to show the whole machine shop, so I posted it. I plan to take another trip with more even lighting and time just to see how much things change.
  6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    I remember that setting from your previous posts....and it is a little haunting as if everyone just suddenly vanished...can't help but wonder how that came to if after shutting down was the setting 'created" for effect or something. Whatever the case, excellent shots of a moment in time...
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Such a fascinating place.
  8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Interesting place to visit and well captured by you...
  9. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for sharing Gary. I left NJ at a very early age and haven't been back in a long, long, long time. I need to make a road trip.
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Nice set! I remember the B and W versions you posted some time ago, seem they also work very nice in colour :)
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Really like the one with the old metal fan.