Thomas Edison National Historical Park

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by WestOkid, Jun 22, 2015.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Last year I visited Thomas Edison National Historical Park in West Orange NJ to take in a little history and capture some shots. It's a really captivating place. Visit it if you are ever in the area. Yesterday I decided to go back. The factory/lab area is hauntingly the same as it was when it was a working factory and laboratory creating things like the motion picture camera and sound recorder.
    This set is a mix of old and new shots from the factory area. I revisited my old shots because last year my post processing skills wouldn't allow me to get the most out of the shots. I honestly just converted everything to b&W to better cope with the noise from the high ISO. Luckily I shot raw so I was able to revisit and reprocess this time in color. Here are the results:
    Machines.

Coat and hat rack.

Drill Press.

Work stations.

Hook.

Machines 1.

Cooling System.

Machine rooms.

tools.

20150621-DSC04591_DxO.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I remember the shots from your last visit, Gary, and if I'm guessing correctly that #5 & 7 are new, I'd say that in addition to your raw development skills, you’ve been working on your appreciation of light and composition too.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Actually 5 & 7 are just reprocessed and to your point, composition is tweaked as with others. The last 3 are new. Not my best work, but the place was closing and I had decided to use the pics I had.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice series Gary! My favorites are #3 and #9 :thumbsup: Their color tones have a special "retro" feel to them which I really like.
    The B&W conversion usually works for these themes but I actually like the color version and your post processing work

Looks like a place with difficult lighting conditions (dark-ish with areas of strong lighting entering) which is apparent in the last photo with the light entering from the windows on the left.
    Again nice work ;)

5. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Nick. The lighting conditions are bad, but made worse by the time of day. Your right about the last shot; it is not good. I just wanted to show the whole machine shop, so I posted it. I plan to take another trip with more even lighting and time just to see how much things change.

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I remember that setting from your previous posts....and it is a little haunting as if everyone just suddenly vanished...can't help but wonder how that came to be...ie: if after shutting down was the setting 'created" for effect or something. Whatever the case, excellent shots of a moment in time...

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Such a fascinating place.

8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Interesting place to visit and well captured by you...

9. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for sharing Gary. I left NJ at a very early age and haven't been back in a long, long, long time. I need to make a road trip.

10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Nice set! I remember the B and W versions you posted some time ago, seem they also work very nice in colour :)

11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Really like the one with the old metal fan.