This is the one lens I hope Sony will answer

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One of the initial offerings for Nikon Z, this really hits the sweet spot IMO.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Totally agreed. Sony were refusing to release a standard 35mm f1.8/2.0 to protect their RX1 line for the longest time. Nikon knew this and it became an obvious choice for a first round offering to fill a gap that Sony had left open.

This is exactly the kind of competition that we Sony users have been longing for. I'm not a 35mm fan but it was pretty stupid how many times Sony managed to beat round the bush in this range.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I suspect Sony knows as much or more about this as the rumor sites, and may be plotting a response. Who knows?

What are you guys wanting out of this that the 35/2.8 or 35/1.4 do not have, or is it just price?

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Maybe Tokina can release an addition to their Firin line with a 35mm f/2, or f/1.8. Variety is the spice of life! ;)

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Last edited:

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Actually the Batis 40/2 (coming soon, we hope!) is what I'd consider the closest to a 35/2. People wanted a sweet spot lens, while Sony wanted to sell more lenses, so split the market into f/1.4 and f/2.8 with many people ending up buying both.

I'm just glad I'm not a 35mm diehard :p

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I suspect Sony knows as much or more about this as the rumor sites, and may be plotting a response. Who knows?

What are you guys wanting out of this that the 35/2.8 or 35/1.4 do not have, or is it just price?
I like my 35/2.8 a lot but I would enjoy having more speed sometimes. But the 35/1.4 seems prohibitively bulky (not to mention expensive).
For me and a lot of others, a good native AF 35/1.8 for full-frame would really hit a sweet spot. We'll have to see how the thing really works, but it looks as though Nikon may be nailing that option, right out of the gate.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I like my 35/2.8 a lot but I would enjoy having more speed sometimes. But the 35/1.4 seems prohibitively bulky (not to mention expensive).
For me and a lot of others, a good native AF 35/1.8 for full-frame would really hit a sweet spot. We'll have to see how the thing really works, but it looks as though Nikon may be nailing that option, right out of the gate.

Grass is always greener.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
C’mon, Amin. You know you’ll have one of those new Nikons at some point. :p
It seems very likely :D.

Sony doesn't need to make a 35 1.8. We have 2 main choices and various 3rd part 35mm lenses. The 35mm 2.8 is an amazing lens with great IQ and somewhat fast.
I agree to an extent. I have those two lenses (35/1.4 and 35/2.8) and feel that they cover my needs pretty well for 35mm, which happens to be my favorite focal length. But a lot of people have been asking for something in between those two lenses for a long time, and I think I might be able to replace both of my 35s with something in between them.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Now that I see how big the Nikon is, I'm glad we have the options we have instead of the "middle" option only. The Nikon isn't anywhere near as compact as our excellent FE 35/2.8, and I do like having the faster option as well, which isn't all that much larger than the Nikon. And as @quezra mentioned, the upcoming Batis 40mm should fill the gap nicely in our system.

Source: Compact Camera Meter

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
If one doesn't mind the bulk (the lens itself is relatively lightweight), the Nikon 35mm 1.8 ED FX lens also works great on the Sony! :D

Comparison Shots 02 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Edited using my presets - Sharp wide open - Sample with A7II + Nikon 35mm 1.8:

Sony_A7II_Nikon_35G_07 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
If one doesn't mind the bulk (the lens itself is relatively lightweight), the Nikon 35mm 1.8 ED FX lens also works great on the Sony! :D

View attachment 97179
Comparison Shots 02 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Edited using my presets - Sharp wide open - Sample with A7II + Nikon 35mm 1.8:
View attachment 97180
Sony_A7II_Nikon_35G_07 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

That's the dilemma. I have two different modes on my A6XXX series depending on what I want to do that day. I have the super small 20mm and a couple of legacy lenses that are just as small that make for a super compact camera system. Then I turn around and have some rather large lenses for when I want some more range and am willing to deal with the bulk.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Canon EF has also two 35mm f2 lenses that can be adapted with the af adapters like the Sigma one which is on sale...

Of course there is also RX1r II with f2 Sonnar that is even lighter than Sony 35mm 1.4 lens:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Of course there is also RX1r II with f2 Sonnar that is even lighter than Sony 35mm 1.4 lens:
That's the one that always makes me feel like I am missing out on something. But until someone makes an autofocus 35mm f/2 that small for a full frame mirrorless interchangeable lens camera...

Amin Sabet

Administrator
So when are you testing it? :) I think Batis 40mm is supposed to be released in US this week...
I've fallen in love all over again with my FE 35/1.4 and 35/2.8 so personally not very interested in the Batis.

Also, the shape and finish of the Batis lineup is not to my preference. I'm sure it will be a great lens though!

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
I feel same with the shape and finish of Batis line though I have 25+85mm lenses. 25mm is not bad for its size, but 40mm is similar to 85mm size. I was still looking due to shorter mfd, but it looks like the blades are octagonal in short distances as the lens is stopping down 2 stops at mfd. Also there are reports of eye af issues...

Also, the shape and finish of the Batis lineup is not to my preference. I'm sure it will be a great lens though!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom