1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

This is how copyright violation should be handled!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Poki, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Just had something strange happening ... Did a Google reverse image search just for fun and found a video using one of my images (this one) in a context of mental health problems. Obviously, this was not the context I ever intended the image to be seen, and the CC license I published the photo also forbids to adapt the image and forces to give credit, both rights which they violated (and they did so with awful looking text about diseases, which was probably the worst part).

So I contacted the chief editor to clarify the situation. Surprisingly, it took only about five minutes that he got back to me - and he already took down the video! This is how copyright violation should be handled.

The video I meant was posted here (embedded via YouTube, was originally a Google Hangout): http://jjie.org/informed_journalism_reporting_on_teens_and_mental_health/105808/

It's down now and should, according to the chief editor, be back online without the picture in question within a day or two.

Did you have any problems with copyright violations of your photos in the past? How did it end?

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I had similar the other day with one of my pics of my car being used on a blog - I politely emailed and to my surprise the editor came back within a few mins and added a credit as requested.
    As you say, how it should be done!

3. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I had an image of mine used without my permission by an accommodation firm. The person I contacted took the offending document down within an hour after saying they were not there when it was done. That may be true as it had been up for a year or so before I came across it. I have had other images used with appropriate credit given or with permission sought beforehand. It is not that hard to find out who owns a picture of Flickr.

4. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    How it should be done is that they don't steal your stuff in the first place. All they've done is get caught and react so there's no further consequences. A honest person asks for permission. A dishonest person asks for forgiveness.

Gordon

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True, but the image was put up by a guest author, not by the magazine itself, so the fast reaction is pretty cool.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Many personal copyright stories myself...

1) The Corrado Club Germany does a calendar evert year (that's a car club for whoever is wondering).
    I submitted a photo I took of my car and send it to them. They choose it for their calendar but when I received my copy I was suprised to see that my watermark was missing - I never said anything since I was so happy to have my car included to their calendar plus I'll give them credit since they specified with a caption on the photo that the car belongs to me :D

2) Another time, while randomly browsing ebay, I found a pic of my car used for a sellers adv. He used my photo for promoting his product. I emailed him telling him that I did not give my permission for my photo to be used and he took the photo down.

And many other similar stories (mostly with car photoshoots I did)...Like other car clubs stealing my photos etc.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The last time one of my photos was printed in a calendar, at least I got €50. :)

All in all, reads like it's at least easy to convince the stealers to take the image down (and steal one from another photog, I assume ...).

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I even had to pay for the calendar :D