1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

this feels weird

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by Bimjo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I just shipped my Pentax K20D off to its new owner. Even though it had mostly been relegated to the camera bag for the last 14 months it still feels funny to be without a dslr for the first time in 9 years. :confused:

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I remember that feeling after I sold my Nikon D300s and saw the buyer take it out the door, first time without an SLR in more than 25 years. If it helps, I never looked back, mirrorless brought back the real fun in photography to me.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Had a nasty feeling when the last one of my two D700 left.... I wouldn't shoot one now if I had the opportunity to though. Mirrorless is so addictive I don't want any DLSR anymore.

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I'm still a dslr person and cannot envisage myself ever being without one, I have liveview on the a580 and will keep the a700 because it's worth virtually nothing but is a superb camera. I have a feeling that most people will migrate back to dslr after the novelty wears off,everything is so easy with them.
    That said I take more photos and get more fun out of my NEX6, but if I'm heading out to do some serious stuff then the tripod and the dslr plus various ND and grad ND filters,flash/lightmeter and a polariser,then I am so happy.
    I think having the tripod and dslr makes you think more about the picture you want to take, as it gives you more time to think about the f stop, shutter speed, iso/filters, when the camera is around your neck you are always looking for something to click at through the viewfinder,when it's on the tripod you can look around unencumbered for that moment,that said, it is not everywhere you can use a tripod nor would you want to on most occasions, however the little nex is so easy that it will come along too,so for me, it's the best of both worlds and horses for courses.

metaphorically speaking " if the dslr is my wife then the nex is my lover"
    long term, I don't want to live without my wife, but the lover is oh so soooo exciting, but maybe not forever.

remember please,,, this is strictly a metaphor and in no way reflects my life ;) but we can dream.

5. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Wow...I just sent off my Nikon D300...literally like 10 minutes ago. I too feel kinda strange...almost empty like. On the other hand, I also picked up my new NEX-6 body that was waiting for my at the post office. It's charging as I type this. Also, the mail man was so nice as to drop off the Sigma brothers...19mm and 30mm, last name f/2.8. So even with the down part, it's a pretty good day...except I have to go to work in a couple hours :(

6. Aslondon

Aslondon TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 12, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    Al
    The Nex constantly reminds me of my old Leica days. My 7 feels and sounds very Leica-like which is very familiar and comforting. I have tried many DSLRs but never really warmed to any of them - some were very nice machines but I never connected.

Al