Thinking voightlander 15mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by claude, Apr 28, 2013.

1. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    In a few weeks my wife and I are heading to the Yukon and Alaska for whatever time it takes to see what we gotta see(nice to be retired). I've been looking at different wide angle lens for all the landscape we will see. I bought the sigma 19 but I am returning it. I love the sigma 30 but the 19 isn't doing for me. I am really interested in the V15mm 4.5. I read some people have color problems than I see people on flickr with a 5N that have amazing photos. Any opinions on this lens would be appreciating. Also is the adapter I would need Leica M to Nex?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Voigtländer 15mm f/4.5 is optically not the best lens, but it's mechanically superior with a very nice color rendering which makes it inspiring to use. If you are not after the absolute best corner sharpness and if you can live with the slow maximum aperture, it might be a good choice. Otherwise, more modern lens designs like the Sony 10-18mm f/4 or the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 (which may be sold just in time, depending on when exactly you go to Alaska) are superior - but after using the Zeiss 24mm, I know that an inspiring lens is worth so much more than pure optical perfection, so if you like the rendering of the Voigtländer, go for it.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm biased because I replaced my SEL16f28 with the CV15 and I've never looked back. When the SEL16 worked it made nice images. My CV15 just makes nice images all the time.

Be aware that if you want to use filters you need to get the M mount version and not the older LTM (screw mount) version.

4. claude

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks Bimjo and Poki for the feedback. Bimjo did you buy used or new.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I bought all my CV lenses used. There's a couple of 15s on ebay right now that may not climb into silly cost levels. Last I looked there was one with a BIN less than I paid for mine.

They turn up occasionally on rangefinderforums, GetDPI and Fred Miranda as well.

6. pfbz

pfbz New to TalkEmount

Apr 8, 2013
    New to the NEX-6, but had a Voigtlander super wide heliar for my Leica M6.

First real shots with the lens and I am super happy.... It is easy enough to just preset a zone-focus with the ample depth of field, but the NEX 6 focus aids will also allow you to confirm focus. I have the older screw-mount version, with a Leica screw to M mount converter, then an inexpensive ($17 on Amazon) Leica M to NEX adapter. Worked perfectly..

A few shots from Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo last week. So far, very pleased with the lens on the NEX. *GREAT* travel setup. Sharp, compact, perfectly sized for the NEX6. Shooting in Aperture priority mode with auto ISO and zone focusing was awesome.

Click on the images for full resolution...

i-gkTVCtK-L.

i-ggSgCVS-L.

For comparison, here is the Sony kit lens (16-50mm) at 16mm. When I get a chance, I'll take some identical scene/exposure images with both lenses for comparison.

i-TGZ3ZTC-L.

I didn't bring the Leica 50mm Summicron on the trip, but i'm anxious to get some shots with it as well.

i-nRDmrCc-M.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Very nice shots, one seldom sees really wide shots of the compound.

8. claude

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks bfpz. Now I not only want the Lens but also want to go to Machu Piccu.lol A comparison between the two would be awesome. Would be easier to buy one in Canada but hard to find.