1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thinking of upgrading from EM5 II to Sony A7R II

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JDK504, Jan 29, 2016.

1. JDK504

JDK504 New to TalkEmount

Jan 29, 2016
    Hello Everyone I am a long time M43 member and I am thinking about upgrading to a
    Sony A7R II from an Olympus EM5 II. I shoot a ton of stills and video. I am only considering upgrading to FF because of the 5 axis IBIS that Sony has. I know its not nearly as refined as the EM5 II, but Canon nor Nikon have it.

If, anyone has made the jump from M43 to FF or vice versa or is shooting both setups I would love to hear from you. The lenses I currently have with the EM5 II are the Pany 25mm 1.4 and Nocticron 42.5 1.2. I really love the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 and 55mm 1.8.

I would love any advice or things you noticed from using either format.
    What are some of the things I would be giving up and gaining.

Much Obliged,

Ken

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome Ken. There are bunch of us came from m43 and also some still shooting m43. 35mm & 55mm are good lenses. You can check the reviews and samples here. I never compared Sony vs m43 IBIS but it is good for me esp considering the 4 times bigger sensor. That might be the biggest difference, eg dof, dynamic range and higher ISO. Sony has the A mount and Minolta IBIS history and lenses too... You can also adapt the Contax g, canon, nikon af lenses on A7R III with af and all the rangefinder lenses... So choice is yours. Native mirrorless lenses are fastest as you can expect...

3. JDK504

JDK504 New to TalkEmount

Jan 29, 2016
    Thank you for your reply. I have been busy reading in this forum, Vimeo, YouTube, etc. I just love the way this camera body (FF) and 35/55 renders it's images. I do tend to shoot in low light and indoors with not a great deal of light. How is shooting lenses wide open say 1.4 and 1.8. Are the images usable wide open like m43? I know distance will play a factor into that scenario.

I think I'll be doing quite a bit of video maybe more than stills with this cam how do you like the ibis vs oly? Em5 ii is fantastic! I don't plan on walking around like I do now but mainly more of standing and ponying with cam. I have seen many clips but very few testimonials.

It seems Sony is really quick to update/upgrade models vs the rest maybe I should wait 6 months to a year for prices to come down?

4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I'm currently all Sony from m43 (actually I was split m43 and Sony for the last year and a half), but having said that, things to be aware of with Sony:

Lens selection is not as good. Lenses tend to be expensive and good or cheap and not as good. There aren't quite the "mid tier bargains" you get with m43

Do some research on the possible quality control issues on the 35/1.4. Purchase with eyes wide open. I think the 55/1.8 is universally praised and no known quality issues that I've heard.

The a7rii is one of the top bodies in photography today. And Sony has done a firmware update to allow uncompressed RAW, which is good, because just today I found some posterization in my a7 shots which (based on my research this evening) is due to lossy compression. There are some other quirks, such as the a7 bodies shooting 12 bit RAW when doing burst mode, instead of 14 bit RAW. I didn't know about that until I hit this issue, so make sure you do some research.

I say all this just to say this -- no system is nirvana. Go in eyes wide open, and do some research. If you can afford it, carry both systems for a bit and compare. Make sure you are moving for the right reasons.

Good luck and if you do start shooting Sony, please post here!!

5. JDK504

JDK504 New to TalkEmount

Jan 29, 2016
    Yes thank you. I hAve read about quality control about the 35 but I also hear that it's a small amount? M43 has great selection but honestly I just shoot primes and I don't need 50 to choose from just 2-3 good lenses. 35,55,85

I'd love to hear your reasoning

6. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

As another one who has made the transition (though I've kept my E-M5 for the 75mm f/1.8 and the 150mm f/2--the compact telephoto advantage is μ43 central strength), if Zeiss-Sony 35mm, Zeiss-Sony 55mm, and Zeiss 85mm Batis is within the budget, I can't imagine regretting that.

7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I'm new to this forum, just joined but not new to photography.
    I'm currently a m43 user, I have an EM5ii and a variety of lenses, Pany 7-14, 12-35, 25 f1.4 and the Oly 60mm macro and 40-150 Pro.
    I recently bought an A7ii with Sony Zeiss 55 f1.8 and Sony 28 f2. My intention is to run 2 systems. However one issue I had with the A7ii was a flickering EVF in bright daylight, I found it most disconcerting and very noticeable so I returned the camera for a refund assuming it was faulty. I liked it on the whole though so decided to go for the A7Rii instead. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. As it turns out the "flicker" seems to be a "feature" of the A7 and A7ii EVF's as since I returned my A7ii I've tried an A7 and another A7ii both owned by friends and both exhibit the same flickering!!!??? Oddly enough my friends hadn't noticed the flickering until I mentioned it, the EM5ii is fine no flickering at all.
    My short time with the A7ii was a nice experience (apart from the flicker), the 28 and 55 primes are lovely lenses too. I mainly capture landscapes and the shots I took were fine, although to be honest when compared to the EM5ii shots there was no real difference in A3+ prints or on screen when using the Pany 25mm and Ziess 55mm with the shots I took (equivalent focal lengths on each format). But early days and the shots weren't very challenging for either format.
    My intention was to use 14mm, 28mm and 55mm primes with the A7Rii and the EM5ii with the 40-150 Pro + TC for shots above FF 55mm, but now I think I need to extend that to getting an 85mm for the A7Rii as well as 55mm is too restrictive.
    Hopefully my A7Rii will arrive tomorrow :)

Paul

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  8. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Like you, I'm new here. Additionally, I recently purchased an A7 II and the 55 1.8. This is my first mirrorless system. Perhaps it is my old eyes but I do not notice any flickering with my A7. Because of my vision, I always use the view finder. Does the flickering occur on the finder and monitor as well?

9. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I only see it through the EVF, the screen is fine on all the 3 cameras I used. My friends didn't notice the flicker yet to me it was very obvious but only outside in bright light, I'm hoping the A7Rii has a different EVF and doesn't exhibit this issue.

Paul

10. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I look forward to hearing how the EVF on the A7Rii works!

11. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I use an E-M1 for telephoto and th A7r with the 16-35, 55/1.8 and CV 35/1.2. I have the 35/2.8 but don't really use it much. The two cameras complement each other very well

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I got it yesterday, it has the same EVF flicker as the other models. I've turned down the EVF brightness manually and that makes the flicker less noticeable. It OK, now I know that's how it is I can accept it. The EVF is actually very good otherwise.
    I'm impressed with the A7Rii so far, very good detail and resolution with the Zeiss 55 and Sony 28 lenses. I'll post some pics later.

Paul

13. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks for the update, Paul! It appears the Sony EVF is consistent which, IMO, is a good thing. I look forward to seeing some of your photos.

14. Blueshound

Blueshound TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    Paul, I'll be looking forward to your further comments on the new camera, I've also come from m43, and have a lot of respect for the system. My use was primarily Panasonic, with a brief time with an EM-5. I still have my lenses, but no body, unless you count my wife's G5.

I did start with an A7r, and have recently changed to an A7rII. I'm really liking the MkII, but I do occasionally look back with fondness on the very low weight of a m43 kit for travel. (I just need to get over this . . .).

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Hi Brian,
    I don't find the size an issue at all, I use primes, I've just got a Voigtlander 15mm Mk2 lens today and also have the Sony 28 f2 and Zeiss 55 f1.8, I'll be getting an 85mm lens lens next and that will do me. I use the m43 Oly EM5Mkii with 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens and teleconvertor for longer stuff and find that setup with the 2 systems works very well. I still have all my m43 gear but time will tell if I keep it all or not. I like the A7Rii and also the 3 primes, I carry it all in a Crumpler "Light Delight 4000" shoulder bag and it's all very compact and unobtrusive. (That's the Sony kit, not including the m43 gear in the Crumpler).

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blueshound

Blueshound TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    Thanks for the update, Paul. I'm historically a zooms user, but I can pretty much get along for the most part with the 16-35/f4 & the 70-200/f4. I like the 70-200/f4 in use on the camera when shooting, perhaps a bit less so as a "carry around" for hours at a time in a bag. I've noodled with adding a Batis 85 to give me moderate telephoto for times when I don't want to carry the 70-200 in my bag, but in truth, I may be just as well to get over myself and live with it.

Thanks
    Brian