• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Thinking of switching to Sony

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
hi to all, I crosspost it from m4/3 forum.

It’s some months that I have both a gx8 and a Sony A7r2.
My m4/3 gear is more complete as I started with it ( 15mm, 42,5 1.2, 75mm ), while for Sony for now I have some MF adapted glass and a samyang 35 2.8.

Sincerely speaking, by the time that I own the A7, I use very few the gx8, even if I like it sooo much.

So I’m starting to think to go all to Sony.
With Sony, I would buy the new 85mm 1.8. For the quality I need, I can cover with it both 85mm and in aps-c mode it would be a 135mm @ 20mpx.
Selling all m4/3 gear, I could even buy the 55 1.8.

Otherwise, I like very much gx8 form factor, buttons, viewfinder and swivel lcd, so I could sell only the 42,5 and 75, and buying the little 42,5 1.7 (and obviously the 85mm for Sony). If lucky gets with me, even re-buying the oly 9-18.
These way I could stay with both with a concrete differentiation, m4/3 to go very small, and Sony for everything.

Is it a good thinking or is it just GAS? :p

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Are you a two system person or a one system person? I think it is personal. I am a one system person. I know this because I own two systems but always only use one. I have had my Sony A7ii for more than two years an in that time I only used my other system a couple of times early-on to take some pictures of the then new Sony camera. So there are two systems on my shelf and one of them just sits there.

So why do I still have that older system? Sentimental attachment, I think. I think I need to think about selling it so someone else could use it....

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think if I had a GX8, I'd keep it with a single lens (probably a 28 or 35mm equiv) for when I need something tiny, but use the Sony for everything else (if IQ matters to what you're shooting in any way, a bag is hardly a big deal). My simple setup is a Zeiss 25 and 55 combo that can virtually do anything (so awesome), but it does require its own bag. A GX8 with pancake would be occasionally useful for some other stuff and wouldn't need a bag. Some days I dream of getting an RX1 or LX100 for that purpose but can't justify that much money on a convenience item!

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking to lx100 too, but even if can justify the money, would a compact camera be in operation equal to a gx8? I’m not so convinced about it..

Yes, having a gx8 with a small lens it’s a good point, but then I will return to the second option, 15mm + 42,5 1.7 for when needing something tiny.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Unless you need two systems, just keep one. I already sold off my M43 kit and used the money to buy an A7III. I still have a Nikon kit, but even that's at risk of being consolidated into Sony.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Unless you need two systems, just keep one. I already sold off my M43 kit and used the money to buy an A7III. I still have a Nikon kit, but even that's at risk of being consolidated into Sony.
Yeah, I’m not a pro, so I would need just one system, and it would be Sony ( high iso is so damn good until 25600 that I can virtually shoot anywhere without problems of disturbing noise ).
But it seems there’s nothing on Sony line-up with a swivel lcd ( and tilting VF ), those little things comes handy in few circumstances; these aspects are not so important, but having them would be a good plus.

I think is a strange type of “affection”: I decided to buy the Rmk2 instead of the new coming A7r3 also because of its possibilities to crop to aps-c, having virtually a second camera with you, but now I struggle to get rid off my m4/3 gear, due to tons of pics, research of the “perfect gear” and so on.

I got, the most reasonable think would be sell all, stay with Sony. and maybe a little compact (rx100 or lx100 or as quezra sayed, stay with gx8 and a pancake to go small)

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
I'm one who thinks full frame and micro four thirds complement each other quite nicely. I still use my mu43 gear a lot for shooting wildlife because the 2x crop factor really helps with a 100-300 or 100-400mm zoom. But if you don't think you'll use a second system much, put a 20mm f/1.7 on you GX8 and sell off your other mu43 lenses. Or get a nice compact camera with a one-inch sensor like one of the RX100s. But stick with the ones that include viewfinders -- the Mark III, IV or V.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm one who thinks full frame and micro four thirds complement each other quite nicely. I still use my mu43 gear a lot for shooting wildlife because the 2x crop factor really helps with a 100-300 or 100-400mm zoom. But if you don't think you'll use a second system much, put a 20mm f/1.7 on you GX8 and sell off your other mu43 lenses. Or get a nice compact camera with a one-inch sensor like one of the RX100s. But stick with the ones that include viewfinders -- the Mark III, IV or V.
I tried leaving the 17mm 1.8 on my Pen-F as a stand alone setup, but then I realized that money could be put into my Sony system, so that ended up going as well! I'm now considering the RX100!

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
I'm now considering the RX100!
I actually have the original RX100 and the Mark V. My recommendation is, unless you are ultra price sensitive, to stick with the Mark III and up.

Having the EVF makes a difference in many situations and the sensors and processors are improved. The faster 24-70mm lenses are arguably more useful than the slower 28-100mm lenses in the older cameras.

The RX100 and the Mark II are fine but technology has moved on quite a bit since 2012-2013.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I actually have the original RX100 and the Mark V. My recommendation is, unless you are ultra price sensitive, to stick with the Mark III and up.

Having the EVF makes a difference in many situations and the sensors and processors are improved. The faster 24-70mm lenses are arguably more useful than the slower 28-100mm lenses in the older cameras.

The RX100 and the Mark II are fine but technology has moved on quite a bit since 2012-2013.
Thanks for the advice, I was mainly thinking of the RX100 so I could have a small vlogging and video rig a flippy screen. :D

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Hi, yes I was thinking also to 20mm, but it’s so near to the samyang 35 2.8.
I made a comparison between my choices and Sony in aps-c and ff vs m4/3, and only the 8 1.8 fisheye (I like the lense, but it’s too expensive to me for what it is) and the lx100 got a serious differentiation.

Compact Camera Meter

I could sell all m4/3 gear for 85mm, 50 1.8 apsc, maybe the samyang 12 f2 apsc and then get an lx100, and also could sell gx8, or keep it to use with MF lenses (maybe with a speed booster?)

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Update, I just sold 75 1.8 and got the sony 85 1.8. For the moment, I keep the panasonic 42,5 1.2 to make some comparison, even if I think to use m4/3 system as the small system (with 15 1.7 and buying 42,5 1.7), and Sony for IQ, with a fast wide angle for one of the two system

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Update, I just sold 75 1.8 and got the sony 85 1.8. For the moment, I keep the panasonic 42,5 1.2 to make some comparison, even if I think to use m4/3 system as the small system (with 15 1.7 and buying 42,5 1.7), and Sony for IQ, with a fast wide angle for one of the two system
I tried running both, I ended up just defaulting to all Sony. Though I think M43 S-AF is actually faster and more accurate. I really wish Olympus and Panasonic would consider a bigger sensor format. Their handling and lenses are in my opinion a notch above Sony equipment.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
I tried running both, I ended up just defaulting to all Sony. Though I think M43 S-AF is actually faster and more accurate. I really wish Olympus and Panasonic would consider a bigger sensor format. Their handling and lenses are in my opinion a notch above Sony equipment.
Yes, I know that with aps-c or manual lenses I can get similar weight and dimensions, but the gx8 has swivel lcd and tilting Viewfinder that Sony hasn’t, so I’m keen to keep it as second body (even if it wouldn’t be used so often)

Latest posts

Top Bottom