• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Thinking of switching from m4/3 to NEX 5N

Sid Chaudhury

New to TalkEmount
Hi all,

I am a member at the mu-43 and currently own an ep-1. I however am finding that the camera is heavy and most importantly the af is very slow. I had though of buying the 20/1.7 lens but heard that it is even slower to AF.

I also am having hard time to focus with the kit lens in low light and not happy with the IQ with high iso.
I recently saw the 5n iso samples and user pictures and though they were very clean, compared to ep-1. SInce, i havenot invested in the m4/3 system, I think switching would not be difficult, but I don't know if this is the right choice.

I have heard the af speed of ep-3 to be much faster but again I am not sure if the IQ can be compared to a NEX.

WHat do you guys think?

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
The E-P3 focuses faster than any NEX, but not with the Pana 20/1.7. Collapsed, the Oly lens is much smaller than the Sony kit lens.

The NEX-5N has much better sensor performance than the E-P3.

Alowisney

TalkEmount Regular
Those are the reasons I picked the NEX 5 over an Olympus PEN, even though at the time, the EP-3 wasn't out yet. With that being said though, I'd still like to try out a PEN. They look like a blast to use and I love that intangible quality that the Olympus gives an image.

Armanius

TalkEmount Regular
Make sure to play with a NEX before buying. Or buy from a place with good return policy. The interface is vastly different from the EP1, and some people really don't like it. And on another personal note, I think the NEX is one ugly looking camera! :)

Sid Chaudhury

New to TalkEmount
I tried the NEX 5N today in the store and I really love it. To me I did not feel it any bigger in my hands. I also liked the fast response of the camera. Although, there are less buttons, for me I think I have realized it works.

I just wished that the price was not so steep, and I think I will buy the combo with the 16 mm pancake lens.
Now need to sell my ep-1 and start a fund for the NEX 5n.

ggibson

TalkEmount Regular
I tried out the NEX-3 and NEX-5 in Fry's the other day and was actually pleasantly surprised at how small the 18-55mm kit lens felt. I had to fumble through the settings menu quite a bit to change settings though... not intuitive like my GF1. The cameras were both very fast, but I'm not a fan of the loud shutter sound. If Sony can produce a decent 40-50mm equ. pancake, I might be willing to go NEX.

robertmwilliams

TalkEmount Regular
I have an Olympus E-PL2 and am also a member of the exellent mu-43 forums.
I just purchased an Nex-5n yesterday and am evaluating it against my beloved E-PL2.
The reason I am even considering a NEX again (had the NEX-3 when it was released) is for 2 things:
- low light/high ISO performance
- manual focus peaking
So far the low light/high ISO performance on the NEX-5n blows the E-PL2 away. It's not even close. I have no fear shooting the NEX-5n at 3200 ISO. Would never do that with the E-PL2 (YMMV).
The manual focus peaking is great for me as I am a manual focus nut.
There are still things I like better about the Oly; jpeg OOC are awesome, controls, smaller overall size when lens size is included and price for lenses/accessories.
I plan to give myself a full week and an open mind as I evaluate these to great cameras against each other.
My greatest fear is that my gearhead self will kick in and I keep both :)

Armanius

TalkEmount Regular
Ahh ... the ever pervasive issue faced by most men.

Hide the EPL2 for a couple of months, making it look like you sold it. If she asks you if you sold it, just don't say anything, but look really sad. That way, you are not lying, but she may think that you sold it. :eek:

jebuskrust

TalkEmount Regular
Great technique Armanius - I'm impressed. On behalf of all men readers here on TalkNex we really appreciate your valuable info you bring to the community :D

blb

TalkEmount Rookie
A vote for the 5n

I've made good use of Amazon's broad return policy and have tried the Gf1, G1, and Gf2 as well as the Epl1 and Epl2. I just never felt comfortable with either of those cameras. But now I've finally settled on the 5n and though my actual captures rarely match the image I framed in my mind
before releasing the shutter, I'm getting closer now than I have with any of the others I've tried - including my T2i. Also, for me, the form factor is a plus. I don't find it ugly and really appreciate it's feel and heft. As I've said in another post, to me, it just really feels like a serious creative tool.

Sid Chaudhury

New to TalkEmount
I was also wondering what color are your 5n's I am thinking of black, but white also looks nice.. what do you guys own?
I think I did not even consider about the NEX system as at first it did not look very appealing to me, but when I got it in my hands it is not any
bigger than the m/43 cameras.

Armanius

TalkEmount Regular
Great technique Armanius - I'm impressed. On behalf of all men readers here on TalkNex we really appreciate your valuable info you bring to the community :D

You are welcome! The other technique discussed in the MU-43 site is to make sure that you always buy a camera of the same color (and of the same brand if possible). If she doesn't pay much attention, she'll think it's the same camera! Make sure you don't look too overly excited when using the new camera though. Must act as if it's just another normal day ...

I just picked up a black EP3, which looks almost just like my black EP2. I really wanted to get a silver EP3, but I had to live by my rules!

I was also wondering what color are your 5n's I am thinking of black, but white also looks nice.. what do you guys own?

I think I did not even consider about the NEX system as at first it did not look very appealing to me, but when I got it in my hands it is not any bigger than the m/43 cameras.

I had a black 5N, and I have a black 3. Is there a white one? Perhaps you meant the silver one?

One of the reasons I like black cameras is because they don't attract as much attention. And for the other reason, see above!

johnny9fingers

TalkEmount Rookie
I have the E-P3 too and don't plan on making a switch. I will just be happy in both camps when I win the 5n :D

nikki

New to TalkEmount
This might be a stupid question, but is the nex a micro four thirds? or does it have a bigger sensor?.I also had a GF1 and found the shutter and af very slow.I also have a digilux 2 ,which is very slow but you expect that from a 7 year old camera!

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
nikki said:
This might be a stupid question, but is the nex a micro four thirds? or does it have a bigger sensor?.I also had a GF1 and found the shutter and af very slow.I also have a digilux 2 ,which is very slow but you expect that from a 7 year old camera!

The NEX has an APS-C sized sensor which is bigger than a 4/3 sensor. I had a GF-1 as well and never found the shutter slow, certainly no slower than the NEX shutter. I've rarely shot with AF lenses on the NEX so I can't compare AF speed but the GF-1 wasn't the quickest AF camera especially with the 20mm lens that I had.

Sid Chaudhury

New to TalkEmount
I was wondering or rather trying to justify the cost of the NEX 5n. I saw this morning that dell has the canon t3i with kit lens for $699. Why is the 5n better than the t3i, Don't get me wrong I really like the 5n, however, I am thinking and this might be my ignorance that the t3i is better than the 5n. I just wished that the 5n wasn't so expensive and was in the $599 range, making it more affordable.

robertmwilliams

TalkEmount Regular
I was wondering or rather trying to justify the cost of the NEX 5n. I saw this morning that dell has the canon t3i with kit lens for $699. Why is the 5n better than the t3i, Don't get me wrong I really like the 5n, however, I am thinking and this might be my ignorance that the t3i is better than the 5n. I just wished that the 5n wasn't so expensive and was in the $599 range, making it more affordable.
I had a T3i and its a pretty good camera.
However I think the 5n beats it in a few areas that were important to me (YMMV)
1 - low light/high ISO
2 - ease of manual focus (the 5n is the best manual focus camera I have ever used)
3 - size
4 - sharpness
5 - fps (I shoot a lot of dragonflies and catching them in flight was almost impossible at the anemic frame rate the T3i can do and I can't wait to try it with the NEX-5n)

I have photos on my flickr photostream taken with the T1i, T2i, T3i and 1D Mark II in addition to the Sony SLT-A33, A55, NEX-3 and NEX-5n so feel free to compare.
Flickr: Robert M. Williams' Photostream

Also here is a few taken with the T3i, Olympus E-PL2 and Sony NEX-5n of the same subject.
Flickr: Robert M. Williams' stuff tagged with dixie
These are from different times/pose/settings so not a 1-to-1 comparison, just a suggestion of how each handles a similar subject.

Sid Chaudhury

New to TalkEmount
@robertmwilliams - thanks for your response and links to your pics for comparison. I think I will just wait and see how the NEX system develops.
I have a ep-1 and although I don't like how slow the camera is and noise levels in higher ISO. I will have to wait until I gather some funds and maybe by then they will come out with the NEX 6.

I will however be a regular here to see how things are developing, and who knows I might just buy it impulsively.

Latest threads

Top Bottom