1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thinking of selling...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by teefin1, Nov 15, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    The Sigma 30 and black kit lens. I have only used the kit lens once to check it out, and I haven't used the sigma at all since getting the Helios. Is there any reason to keep an AF lens? Am I being hasty?

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Keep the 30 for when you go to restaurants/wherever and you need a kind stranger to take shots of you and your food/date/partner/etc. This is the only use I have for AF but it is significant

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I see the 30/2.8 being useful as casual walk around on well lit days. It's compactness alone is a big asset.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too have thought of selling my stock lens, but keep it for similar occasions.

My wife does fairly well with the auto focus, but does not like manual focusing. I was part of my brother's wedding and she took pictures on the NEX.

I also keep it around for taking videos if we don't take out the video recorder.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I agree, I rarely use mine but it is useful for those times when you need or want AF. I sold minie and ended up buying a second one because of those situations (like my wife not liking to use MF but wanting to use it to take shots of a family gathering etc.).

6. snkenai

snkenai TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Stephen Noel
    I find myself using the Sigma 30mm on the E-p2 more often, as time goes by and as I get older and too lazy to use the MF lenses. As the father of the bride recently, I used only the "30", for backup to the main photographer (Not Pro), and it served with excellence! In fact My pictures were much better. He over exposed most of his. Note: Still don't have NEX. Someday.

7. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    All my lenses are manual ( I bought the body only ) and I would like an AF lens for all the situations mentioned above plus when I just can't be bothered to set up a manual shot or there's something happening rapidly that needs AF. Think carefully about selling :)

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I would keep at least one of them.

9. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I love my Sigma. The image quality and focal length are about perfect in my opinion. It does NOT do well in video so if want to keep an AF lens for that reason it might be wise to stick to the kit.

The Helios is a 58mm, right? I personally find that, the Sigma, and the 16mm a great walk around kit. Although I have a Rokkor 58mm instead of the Helios. Just a thought.

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I can understand you getting rid of the kit lens. I would hold on to the Sigma if I were you, unless you really need the money. If you sell it, I wouldn't mind betting you buy another! ;)

11. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Rich, I have one I'm not using at all, are you in the US or UK ?