1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thinking about wide angle or fisheye, Samyang 8mm and SEL16 / adapter opinions ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by markoneswift, Jul 31, 2013.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of getting myself a wide angle lens for my NEX3 and I had settled on the SEL16 f/2.8 until I saw the Samyang 8mm f/2.8 for similar money and read about de-fishing and distortion correction. I realise the Samyang is manual control and that's fine because all I use on the nex are legacy lenses. My brain is just wondering, would the SEL lens with the fisheye adapter be better or worse than the Samyang ? I am thinking that with the Samyang I would effectively have two lenses in one, either standard fisheye images or de-fished for wide angle. Does anyone have any thoughts or comparisons on either of these options ? Thanks

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You can't really compare fisheye with rectlinear lens. Nor you can compare real ultrawide lens with a wide lens and adapter. You can find example images from net, you need to decide if results are good enough for your needs.

I did settle to Samyang 14mm. It needs distortion correction but it is wide enough for my needs. Will probably get a lens turbo for it (I have it in pk mount).

3. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I found review of Rokinon here: EXCLUSIVE: Hands on Review- Rokinon 8mm f2.8 Fisheye (Sony NEX)
    ...and this review convinced me that this is very nice lens for nex... Just read!

I own SEL16 with WA converter and results are GOOD (not better) for that price (WA converter for about 75$). Even SEL16 with or without converter gives you SAME qualitative results, interesting...

But this rokinon seems to be good choice for UWA and for fisheye... As phoblographer wrote, distorsion isn´t so big for such a focal lenght, so i think meybe DE-FISHEYING may give you good results?

I thing I´m saving... :)

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Personally I have never really cared for the look of a defished shot. Assuming a "good" defish process there is still distortion in the frame. You frequently lose a large portion of the edges of the frame as well.

I guess it depends on how frequently you would want a wide shot vs. a fisheye shot. If you plan to shoot mostly fisheye shots and sometimes defish then get the Rokinon/Samyang. If you plan to shoot mostly wide angle shots and occasionally shoot fisheye then get the SEL16/feisheye adapter.

5. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Just to update this thread, I got the Samyang 8mm F/2.8 in E mount is its AWESOME !

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Congrats! Post pics! :)

7. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    ... as my previous speaker...;-)

8. Revrock

Revrock TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi I'm a first timer here, I have the same question as the OP, plus I've got the cheap EOS to NEX adapter. Right now there have been discounts on the Rokinon 8mm 3.5 for Canon. How big of a difference is there between using a Canon mount plus adapter vs dedicated E mount 8mm? I'm just getting into new lenses so any of your advice and experience would be really appreciated. Thanks.

9. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Well I'm guessing that the Canon mount version will be for full frame, whereas the E mount version is designed for cropped sensor. Therefore, if I am right, the lens may not have the full amount of distortion that the native E mount lens has. Please correct me if I'm wrong !

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that all are intended for crop sensor. If I am getting that lens I will get it in PK-mount (if it really works that way, at least adapter must be shimmed to be precisely at correct length). Lenses are designed such a way that they can be mounted to different bodies easily. That is the real lens starts from maximum flange distance of cameras and there is additional tube if flange distance is shorter. Kind of fixed adapter.

I can adapt any PK mount lens to any mirrorless body. If I get a DSLR it is going to be Pentax as I have most of my legacy ones in PK mount. (And can adapt some to PK mount.)

11. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    E-mount Rokinon 8/2,8 is much smaller than Canon EOS Rokinon 8/3,5+adapter. This is main difference.

E-mount version is "brighter", newer, made for specifically for mirrorles cameras and has better optical performance. Both versions are for crop sensor.

12. Revrock

Revrock TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Ah, thanks for the info. I was also thinking for the future, I know the Canon lenses can be adapted to a wide variety of cameras. But I wonder about E mount lenses for the future if I were to change cameras. Would it be wise to go with the Canon just for the flexibility of future use on other cameras?