Thinking about buying a full frame camera

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Luis R. Lebron, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Luis R. Lebron

Luis R. Lebron New to TalkEmount

May 30, 2018
    I mostly photograph landscapes, nature, portraits and the occasional church/social event (not weddings). I currently own an Olympus EM5 MKII, Lumix GX85 and a Nikon D7100. I enjoy my M43 system and have a love/hate relationship with my Nikon. I tend to use the Nikon for my church/social events because of the slightly better high ISO performance and I own a better flash for that system.

At the moment I have noticed that the A7ii has dropped in price to $1299 with the 28-70 zoom. Would I notice an improvement in IQ over what I already own with the A7ii? I think it is an incredible value at that price.

Should I consider an A7r2? I played with one at the store and really like that files I got on my memory card. My only problem with the A7r2 is the price. I could buy the A7ii and a couple of decent lenses for the same amount of money.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Luis

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Welcome! There are many other members more qualified than me to respond to your questions. Two years ago, I moved from a very old Nikon D60 to the A 7 II. The A 7 II meets all of my needs. I only have two lenses (Sony 28 and Sony/Zeiss 55). I primarily shoot street and my grandchildren when I'm with them.

I've considered the Sony R series but the increased size would require me to add an external HD. Additionally, since I still use a single license version of LightRoom (6.14) the larger files would probably slow down my processing.

Finally, since I'm just an amateur, I've decided to spend any future monies on glass and not bodies.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you consider the A7R2 in spite of its price point, I think you'll also want to consider the A7 Mark III: it's generally seen as a vast improvement over the Mark II and still cheaper than the A7R2.

Edit: Ah first post. Welcome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Luis R. Lebron

May 30, 2018
    The last time I checked the A7Rii body and the A7iii body were the same price.

5. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Since I have never used a olympus EM5, or Nikon D7100, I cannot give you an answer. I like my A7ii a lot and use it for all of my (amateur) needs.

Welcome!

6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have an A7ii. You are right - for the price it is an incredible value. The low light performance is not as good as newer cameras like the A7iii, but still pretty decent in my opinion. And it has a bit less dynamic range. And AF is better, I guess. But I am usually in manual mode and focus manually anyway, so maybe not the best source of information, lol. At this time, I am not actively looking to upgrade as I am pretty sure the A7ii is more capable than I am, and as was said it is probably better to spend the money on glass anyway.

If budget is no problem, I might go for the A7R2 (42M) or A7iii (24M) since it is your first FF Sony and they are the higher-end bodies. However the A7ii is no slouch (for me anyway).

7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    If you're using the D7100 with a kit lens/variable aperture zoom, then yes, A7ii with kit lens will be a marked improvement.
    If you're using the D7100 with primes/f2.8 zoom, the difference with an A7ii+kit lens will not be significant.

The problem with the A7rII is that 42MP is a huge jump in file size if you shoot raw (and arguably it's hardly worth getting the A7rII unless you want to shoot raw). In the end, that was what made me choose to move to A7iii, rather than the A7rii or A7riii, both of which I considered. While storage is cheap, as a non/occasional semi-pro, buying new hard drives to store all those files made the cost jump far more significant than simply getting the A7iii for me.

So I went from A7 (same sensor as A7ii) to A7iii and the difference is like 2/3 of a stop measured, but practically more than one stop in my experience working with the raws (because all that dynamic range makes the noise levels much easier for the computer to figure out and work around, I am guessing?). I had originally gone from a NEX-5N (similar lowlight IQ to D7100) to an A7 many years ago and felt the jump was huge then - I was shooting primes with both. You will be blown away if you go straight to the A7iii from what you currently use.

8. Luis R. Lebron

May 30, 2018
  9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Depends on what is a significant difference for you. If you compare sensor performance, there's about 1.5 stop difference in signal-to-noise ratio for instance, which for me would be significant.

Schermafbeelding 2018-06-04 om 16.47.15.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Luis R. Lebron

May 30, 2018
    Compared to the A7iii yes there is a significant difference but the difference is smaller when it is compared to the A7ii.

11. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Sure, but still 1 stop difference in signal-to-noise ratio.

12. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    It would be 2/3 stop difference between D7100 and A7ii in terms of signal-to-noise ratio. Dynamic range is about the same. In other words, a faster lens would be the main difference between the two: i.e. if you shoot Nikon's 17-55/2.8 on the D7100, you would be getting similar (and even better at the long end) results as on the A7ii+kit lens. If you were intending to shoot f1.8 primes on the A7ii, however, you'd need to shoot f1.4 primes on the D7100 to get the same kind of IQ.

On the other hand, there is about a stop difference between A7ii and A7iii, so there would be a 1.5-2 stop difference between D7100 and A7iii. The A7iii's dynamic range completely blows the D7100 away. You'd have to be shooting fast primes on the D7100 to catch the A7iii+kit lens on IQ (dynamic range).

You can see for yourself from DPR's studio comparison tool:
    YicPJWW.

So the A7ii and even the current generation A6500 have almost a stop advantage over the D7100. It can be overcome with a fast lens. But take a look at the A7iii in the bottom right.

The measured ISO performance of the A7iii is "only" 1 stop better than A7ii, but as you can see from the above, effective performance appears to be much higher than that - something nearing 2 stops. There could be some internal processing going on, but if there's no loss of detail it only makes me more impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luis R. Lebron

May 30, 2018
    Thanks for all the info. I think the latest Sony cameras are exceptional.

After some thinking I decided to go with a Nikon D750. I will miss the EVF of the mirror less system but I already have lenses, batteries, a flash and other accessories that will work on the D750. And at the current price is was extremely tempting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Have fun with your D750!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Top Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    So, I killed my A5100 in circumstances I don't want to talk about. Gf. now calls me 'swamp boy' ahem. Nearly got another one, in the same way I replaced my Panasonic GX7 (shutter died).

Instead I got a mildly used A7s, which arrived this morning so I am now all grown-up and FF :2thumbs:

Baffled by a few things, but the iso certainly does what it says on the tin. APS lens, so 5mb crop, SOOC jpeg, in-camera NR off @ 51200 lol.

DSC08194.JPG

dog under dining-room table

• Like Like x 4
  16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :laugh1:

Hope you like your A7S, have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  17. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    NICE - impressive lack of noise! But I am guessing the dog under the dining room table was hoping for more than a portrait. :) 

If I could have afforded the A7s when I got my A7ii, I would probably have given up half my pixels for sensitivity and silent shutter and been happy with the choice.

18. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Top Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    UK used prices for the A6500 and the A7r, s, and ii are pretty much in a heap at the mo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.