1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thing I've learned while in Peru...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ecaggiani, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Well, folks, I've been in Lima, Peru for 3 days now and heading to Cusco tomorrow on my way to Machu Picchu. This trip was the reason I needed to get back into photography and believe me, I think there is no better practice than being thrown into the thick of things!

So far, I've learned a few things that I didn't realize before:

1. Though I've mostly been shooting with one specific lens when out and about, I am so happy I brought my others along since there have been times I've needed to switch to get a shot.

2. That being said, I have so far NOT used my Minolta MD 50mm f/2.0 at all, but have used all others. Don't get me wrong... I love that lens, but the situations I've been in have not seemed to lend themselves to this focal length.

3. My Minolta MD 28mm f/2.8 has been stellar. So far I think I've shot with this lens the most. It's a great focal length for street, and just wide enough to get environment. However, when it got dark out, I apparently missed focus much more often without realizing it until looking at the photos on a computer later. Perhaps using the AF kit lens in bad lighting would work better.

4. My Minolta Maxxum AF 100-200mm is amazing for capturing great street portraits. I managed to get some great shots during a parade in Lima today (I'll post some pics later) and it was actually quite fun to pick people out of a crowd.

5. Speaking of fun... shooting with my manual glass is WAY MORE FUN than using the kit lens. Not sure why. Maybe it's because it feels like you have more control over your final images. Or maybe because the results in the end just seem more alive than the kit.

6. My camera battery dies way faster when using the kit lens due to it being motorized.

7. When using primes, I tend to get better compositions because I need to physically move closer to the subject rather than zoom, making it easier to see details you might have missed otherwise.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll learn even more on my second half of my trip!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Sounds like you're having fun. :)

3. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    What you say is very true, especially the joy of manual focus. Enjoy your trip, hope it is a refreshing time and maybe even a life changing one. Travel is a wonderful thing.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Echo the joy of MF. There is nothing wrong with AF, just MF is fun.

5. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    re: Thing I've learned while in Peru....

enjoyed reading your thoughts. you might have discovered that same thing at home but it had to be more fun and much more interesting in Peru.

I liked your reflections on using manual focusing lenses. I concur.

6. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Thanks all! We're in Cusco now and tomorrow we head to Machu Picchu by train/bus. Today we walked around Cusco and got tons of cool street shots. What a great city for photography! Since I'm shooting in raw, I haven't been able to process much yet, but I will certainly post photos when I have the time. Again, I relied on my Minolta MD 28mm for most of my shots, with a few taken with the 100-200mm when I needed a close-up that I couldn't walk to.

7. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    i would love to see some of the 28mm FD lens pictures when you get back, i find i am using mine a little more than the 50mm FD and i have been pleased with the results too.

Dave

8. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani

I absolutely will! Yesterday we toured Machu Picchu (amazing) and today we fly back to Lima for one more night, then we go home. Hopefully I'll have some time soon to process some of the thousands of raw files we shot :)