There's gotta be an easier way to download.....

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by TedG954, Apr 27, 2015.

1. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Currently, I have to go through the following procedure to turn photos into final production.

1) Copy the ARW files from the SD card in to a new computer file
    2) Convert the ARW files to TIFF via Image Data Converter in to a TIFF file
    3) Convert the TIFF files, via View NX, to JPEGs in a JPEG file

What am I missing?

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    If your goal is JPEG, can you just shoot JPEG and then load them onto your PC?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Why not use Lightroom or Capture One? Then you can import the .arw files, save as .jpg, done!
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    In my version of Image Data Converter (4.2) I can select multiple images, right-click on an arbitrary image, select Output and then I get the option to save the selected raw files in various formats, a.o. JPEG.

That said, I agree with David (WoodWorks): get a real post-processing program. From what I see I get the idea you're serious about photography so that would really pay off IMHO, especially if you spend time to learn what the program can do for you (which is a LOT!). Lightroom is $149 and Capture 1 for Sony is even much less.
  5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    You can get Capture One Pro 8 for Sony for 30 bucks or so, and that software is amazing! Just put your SD card in, click on the import button at the window that pops up, and the images are all in your library. If you want to export one as JPEG, just hit the export button, and you can share the image with the world. The original file will stay in your library, so you can add changes to your RAW files whenever you like. And the results Capture One can produce are by far better than what Sony's software can do. There's a 60 day free trial version (with all features enabled), so just do yourself a favor and try it out.