them silly lights

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bimjo, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, I have been accused of being dangerous when I'm bored and there is some truth to that. However, as I age, I'm less inclined (or more accurately less able) to get myself into too much trouble. Slowing down physically has not slowed the "stupid gene" at all, just redirected it.

So, take one dark bedroom, one tripod, one 5N, one CV35 @ f/4, one wireless shutter release, one Tupperware clear salad bowl, and the light from a child's silicone squishy toy and you get… Silly Lights!

silly_lights121226_01.

silly_lights121226_02.

silly_lights121226_03.

silly_lights121226_04.

The clear plastic light ball has a red and a blue flashing LED that is activated by a contact switch. Hit the switch (more like bounce the ball) and the LEDs activate for about 10 seconds or so. Activate the shutter, activate and ball and roll it around the inside of the bowl. Try not to laugh. :)

On that first one I flipped the ball out of the bowl, hence the red outside the bowl. With the long exposure I just put it back in and let it go. Exposures started at 10 seconds and cycled down to 2.5 seconds, which seemed to be a good compromise for getting enough action to make it interesting and not blow out the highlights.

It was fun while it lasted, and yes, I am easily amused. ymmv ;)