TheCameraStoreTV's First Look of the Sony A7 and A7r

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Synomis192, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm quite disappointed with this's NOT th ecamera system that I was hoping to see an have been waiting patiently for these 10 years.

The is simply another cost cutting operation from Sony in it's journey towards ever greater profits by removing all engineering and replacing it with solid state electronics. Sony obviously feels that It can't go tto quickly with this or people might 'see the join' and stop paying big money for what is an ever cheaply made product.....You have to remember that Sony is formost a consumer electronics company, even if they now make cameras,....So, for now we have this model which is even more transitional than the, it looks like a badly designed DSLR but does not have the actual features of one.

Personally, I was looking for a scaled up NEX 5, which would at least have been going in the right direction...but sadly not. This thing is NOT the 'digital back' for legacy lenses that I hoped it would be, it's another DSLR look-alike at very high price.

I have never been a SLR enthusiast...I disliked the type even in the days of film. However, we now have a clear choice for full frame...either a quality DSLR such as D800, or this thing for the same money, only advantage being a bit smaller.
  3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I dunno... when I picked up Canon SL100, which is almost the same size as Nex 6 judging by the specs, it felt like a plastic brick. I would need to see & hold A7, I doubt it feels anywhere close to D800.

Also, does D800 allow the use of legacy / other manufacturer's lenses ? I doubt that it has as wide of a choice of adaptable mounts as A7.

The way I see it:

D800 - DSLR AF speed, camera controls, ruggedness and battery life. Similar sensor. Negatives -no / reduced legacy glass use. Much bigger and heavier. Older sensor.

A7 (R) - Hopefully best sensor, wide use of legacy glass and other manufacturer's modern glass (e.g. Canon EF, Nikon, Sony.. which is huge if well implemented). Still smaller and more portable, especially with e-mount glass. Negatives - slower AF with native glass, slower AF with other manufacturer's modern glass (for now at least), small battery capacity, worse ergonomics.

The real loser right now seems to be Canon FF bodies. A7 can use Canon EF lenses with an adapter, it has better modern sensor with wide DR and great resolution in a small body, vs Canon sensor that's getting very long in the tooth. The photogs that have thousands tied up in high end Canon glass and don't need fast AF for sports (and I think most sports / action shooters would actually prefer a higher end APS-C body like 70D) can pick up a A7(r) and a $400 adapter and have better output than what they would get with Canon's equally expensive full frame bodies, without need to invest in new glass which is the biggest cost of switching systems. There are actually many threads on Canon forums about it.

About the only two things that could threaten Sony's FF offering are (1) if they do a half assed job on it or (2) if someone else gets out a smallish FF camera with similar sensor and either IBIS or fast DSLR like AF or both.

BTW, I am not looking to buy into FF anytime soon. Too expensive and honestly too much for what I do.