the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 - a lens I dislike.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Lucille, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I am going to shoot with this lens and update this thread with various images. I have said I don't like this lens at all. I bought it when the Sony A7 was 1st released. I love the 35mm focal length, but just never warmed up to this lens, and will sell it soon. IMO it doesn't have character and is rather uninspiring for me.

Sony A7S and 35mm Zeiss f/2.8
    m-146.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    Sony A7S & 35mm Zeiss f/2.8
    m-147.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    Sony A7S & 35mm Zeiss f/2.8
    m-148.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lucille

May 22, 2013
  5. GaiaSxm

GaiaSxm TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 20, 2015
    Nathalie Beaurain
    Was waiting for this post :D the pictures come out pretty good from what I can see. And at night too, colors are pretty bright and wonderful (sorry I am not very good at vocabulary lol)

6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Maybe the lens lacks caracter but that leaves plenty of room for you to add your own to the images. Great shots btw

7. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    I must say your shots with this lens are excellent...so I wonder how you would further describe what it lacks when you say it doesn't have the character. Can you tell me more about what you mean?

I too have this lens...and while it's not my favored lens (that title goes to the 55/1.8), for me, I'd give it a "B" grade.

I love the crispness and color rendition I get with the 55/1.8...and I don't seem to get as much of with the 35/2.8.

Admittedly, I'm uneducated and clumsy re: what distinguishes one lens from another..perhaps I don't really know what to compare between lenses, so I'm curious to hear more of your reasoning.

Thank you.

9. Lucille

May 22, 2013

It simply doesn't wow me. All these shots again have me thinking about how the 35mm Rx1 would have captured them. I am a wide open type of shooter, and the f/2.8 lacks the 3d pop and subject/background isolation separation that my eyes got accustomed to seeing after shooting several years with the Rx1.

I don't care for the contrast that comes from this lens though that can be dealt with in post.

I love photography, and am very passionate about it. I am high energy and anybody that has ever participated on a shoot with me will have fun.

I don't need to have a inspiration to capture images however, if my gear can inspire me to shoot, all the better. The Rx1 has inspired me, the A7R MII IS currently inspiring me, the 35mm Zeiss f/2.8
    causes me to yawn. I failed to bond with it for one simple reason, it doesn't have 'that look'......

the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 is a fine lens for many, just not me. I wanted to showcase this lens in a thread simply to prove I don't have a bad copy and maybe give it another chance. I do love its size
    and weight. I will add more images in this thread, I will shoot some cars and landscape stuff and maybe some long exposure night shots.

There is a certain look to my images that I want, my style to show through, this lens doesn't help me in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, those all seem legitimate complaints to me, Lucille. I felt that way about the Sigma 30 when I had the NEX-6. It had a stellar reputation, but it just made me shrug.

Though I do have to say, even if the lens didn't wow you, your photos with it sure wow me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you for the info Lucille. Your comments have given me much to think about in terms of what makes a good lens for me.

I want to see that "look" you refer to. Are your photos on Google+ or Flickr or Facebook?

Thank you

12. Lucille

May 22, 2013

Here is a solid example of a 'look' to my images.... And for that I will pull a Rx1 file that IMO, the 35mm on the Rx1 DESTROYS the Zeiss f/2.8 in a one sided runaway rout. In fact, I've often thought, if one is searching for one of the best 35mm lenses, just get a Rx1. With that said, I have yet to try the Zeiss 35 FE f1.4.

This image has pop, a 3d look, killer color caught in the darkness.

m-84.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    Here is a another with the 'HepKitty Look'..... This scene was very dark, and I just loved how the Rx1 rendered this image.

m-64.

My clients hire me, because of 'the look' of my images, many of the locals can pick my images out rather easily in say a line-up of images, because they have a certain look and feel.
    This is something that the Zeiss f/2.8 doesn't give me, Yes I can shoot a nice image with that lens, but it lacks the look I am after.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    Here is a image that is very close to giving me the look I desire, shot with the Zeiss 35 f/2.8. I took a chance here, as I was doing work for a client with a lens I didn't like and wasn't
    comfortable with, and I was capturing some once in a lifetime moments as I was hired to shoot a newborn birth/delivery. I will only share this one shot from that set. I was using the 35mm
    because I really wanted to like it, yet I still don't. The client was very happy with these once in a lifetime moments that I captured.

Sony A7, 35mm Zeiss f/2.8, ISO2500, 1/160sec.
    m-152.

• Like Like x 2
  15. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I hate reading this Lucille. I just p/exed my RX1 for the Sony A7RII and I was going to sell my M240 so that I could get the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 to replace that fabulous RX1 lens...... I decided to keep the M which leaves me only the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II to use on both cameras. I do like this lens for wide open shots but it certainly can never replace the RX1 :(

16. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    I am missing my Rx1, as Jason Lanier has borrowed it. This camera is a cult classic, I am thinking of adding a Rx1R to my bag, but I keep holding out waiting for a Rx2 or something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    I love it, it's just a sweet rendering. I remember when Sony released this beast, it came out of nowhere, and Sony hit a homerun. Once I was finished working my very 1st Rx1 file in post, every piece of
    Canon gear that I owned was OUT THE DOOR!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    IMHO the real forte of a 35/2.8 is landscape shooting. That's where it should make the most sense over other 35mm solutions for its size, weight and optical simplicity. I find the FE35/2.8 behaves much better with extreme contrast and sun in frame than the legacy 35mm primes I'd been using.
    instagram-4. instagram-3.
    I certainly agree that f/2.8 is rather workmanlike for a prime for low light work. It's been a bit frustrating on the A7 for my onstage candid shots so I do tend to favor the 55/1.8. But when the AF doesn't fail, the wide open sharpness is great and I like the BOKEH just fine.
    instagram-2. instagram.
    FWIW I have no regrets, getting mine used and plan to keep it for a while. ($800 new, that does seem a little steep...)

I certainly could be tempted by the right deal on a RX1, though for low light AF I'd like to see what the next generation has to offer.

Alternately, I'd like to see how my 35/2.8 fares on a A7s. If that can focus a couple stops darker than my A7, that could make the lens a lot more useful to me (along with many others).

• Like Like x 3
  20. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    I am mainly a landscape shooter, I travel around New Mexico capturing the many ruins and ghost towns. I have used the 35mm Zeiss f/2.8 on many occasions. I don't give it a nod here either. For me it is a boring lens. In fact, I find I love my Rx100 mIII better for landscape then any A7 body with the 35mm f/2.8. However I will emphasize 'for me', others milage may and will vary. This lens is selling for some reason. I just can't see any justification for buying it when the 28mm f/2 is better, has more character and is a bargain.

Edited to add: I have never had issues with lowlight autofocus on the Rx1, I constantly read about this problem, and me personally I don't see it in the field, and I have shot with that camera in some very dark venues.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015