The 'which camera?' question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Nov 6, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Look what Mr Postie delivered today:

DSC07281 (3).

I was so impressed, having ordered it from the clearnace section, to find that it's actually brand new. Straight away there is much to love, so much added functionality, and the EVF. (which i find a bit small actually, and strangely smeary if i move my eye at all)

My question would be, is it enought to justify the leap in expense over the 5n? I can sell the 5n and stick with the 7 or keept the 5n and trade the 7 for the A57, and still save myself about £200. I like the idea of the A57 for AF lenses and phase detection, i dont see myself using AF lenses on the Nex system, manual is such a great feature.

Any advice from up/down graders or those who just know more about cameras would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Tracy

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ooohhh, nice !
    I got a 6 and wonder at times if I wouldn't have been better off with the 7. But the standard hotshoe I use daily with a non Sony flash, so I guess that answers the question.
    Now regarding the addition of the DSLR, I have a perfectly good one at home that has given me several thousands shots, yet ever since I went mirrorless it got ZERO use.
    I understand it almost always the case, too.
    I'd still chose the 7 over the 5N for the nicer body, EVF and hotshoe (be it proprietary), and the TriNavi wheels I heard do much good stuff about.
    Just my 2 cts tho.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think the overall UI and build on the 7 make it a very attractive camera. That said, I love my 5n and I'm not sure I would choose the 7 over it because I have found that I prefer using the LCD over the EVF but I have a really specific vision issue that makes that the case and that would not be an issue for most folks.

ALTHOUGH I will say that I had a similar choice when I jumped from the C3 to the 5n and it was the little things that the 5n does that have made a huge difference for me (like the fact that the 5n is a lot faster shot to shot). See if you love the 7 first then decide. If you don't at least give the 7 a shot you'll always wonder if you SHOULD have kept it.

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    That's a tough decision to make Tracy... and it'll boil down to your own specific applications and personal preferences.

Personally I like and prefer the build (shape and button layout) of the NEX7... but the 24mp is overkill for the photography I do, which will just use up more storage space. The 5N 16mp is just right for me at the moment especially for dusk/dawn/night photography (in low light - high ISO, the 5N has reportedly far less noise than the NEX7 sensor output), but I sometimes find the button locations and UI awkward on 5N.

I'm in a similar situation as Kevin where I prefer the back LCD over the EVF... I've tried the EVF but it flickers during motion which plays havoc with my photosensitive nausea - so until newer ultra-high refresh rate EVFs come out, EVFs are a no go for me. EVFs also eat more battery time...

Like I said, it's a hard decision... so I've stuck to one of my life's sayings - "when in doubt, don't" which is not to be confused with my other saying, "when in doubt, gas it!" but that's another story, lol. :)

5. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks to all ( regularly) I am inclined to stick with the 5n, primarily because the EVF gives me eye ache, and as much as the 7 is a lovely machine it doesn't offer more over the 5n for me at the moment, for the price. Or, maybe I can't utilise it's features. Funny, as the store I bought it from are now offering a few more in clearance, for £90 more than I paid two days ago and I do love to think I got a bargain! I've listed my 5n for sale, if no takers by the weekend then the 7 will not be staying. Plus, they have fair few 5n's for £250 if anyone is interested.

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I have the nex5n and nex7, and to be honest I love the nex7 much for the,Tri-Navi, VF and built-in flash, you have the high ISO as 16,000, Tri- avi buttons that are very useful and I use it more than the nex5n, but in conditions with little light, 5n runs the front, so I'm a dilemma if I should keep my nex5n? or sell it and buy more lenses?, it's something I've asked several times but I like the nex5n, the touch screen, high performance in low light, of course has the advantage of a touch screen, which makes operation easier in some ways, for example to focus during movie recording. It also provides Photo Creativity results-based controls in Intelligent Auto mode, something the NEX-7 lacks. :(

I would like to acquire viewfinder for the nex5n, but for now I don't think so, I hope to find a good deal and you can take the chance, then I'll have two killing machines on the streets of NY :)

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    And this of course is the ultimate answer... keep both!! :D

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    : D

9. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Ha ha, wouldn't that be great. It's a devil and the deep blue situation, but for me the decision has been made. 5n sold, shipping today. :)

10. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I went from the 5N to the 7 but it didn't cost me anything.

I really liked the 5N but I love the 7. I use both the EVF and the LCD depending on the situation I'm in. I don't have any problems with it. Tri-Nav is wonderful and the camera just feels better in my hands, more natural. I feel able to crop more aggressively with the 24 MP and for printing and screen use I don't find any difference in the noise at higher ISO although it is better on the 5N if you pixel peep.