• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Review The Tamron 28-200mm F/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD lens - Best Lens for the 2020 Pandemic!

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
* Crossposted on https://cameraderie.org/

I've been shooting this lens all of July and I don't say this lightly, but the Tamron 28-200mm F/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD lens has my vote as the best super zoom lens ever (my previous vote went to the Nikon 1 10-100mm non-PD VR) and best lens for the 2020 pandemic! It's amazingly versatile with a fast wide f/2.8 aperture, fairly compact design and uniformly sharp images across it's focal length. It allows the shooter to get in close for details, but also maintain social distancing. Pair this lens with a compact wide and maybe a fast standard prime and you have everything covered! I could confidently shoot this lens in a parade (whatever that is), marathon (too much breathing) or even a protest! This lens is the pinnacle of Tamron's cumulative attempts at making cheap super zoom lenses throughout the years and it finally paid off! Highly recommended!

50157588598_d55f64da65_h.jpg
Walking around the Los Angeles County Museum of Art LACMA - Los Angeles, California USA - during the 2020 Global Covid-19 Pandemic.
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

50157576223_e3aab2efaa_h.jpg
Walking around the Los Angeles County Museum of Art LACMA - Los Angeles, California USA - during the 2020 Global Covid-19 Pandemic.

50158370422_6c484d8a36_h.jpg

50158135176_dad8a8f09d_h.jpg

50158368737_772050d442_h.jpg

50157577723_a0ff8d5eb8_h.jpg

50158379212_7958dadb79_h.jpg

50158367627_e68ccce8fa_h.jpg

50158384387_6db3d4dfbe_h.jpg

50158141946_ee4b735348_h.jpg

50157580143_9ba27cf676_h.jpg Walking around the Los Angeles County Museum of Art LACMA - Los Angeles, California USA - during the 2020 Global Covid-19 Pandemic. by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

50158126896_2e111816d4_h.jpg

13. (Masked Selfie!)
50158141201_0edaa12706_h.jpg

Last edited:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Excellent shots. I'd like to see a comparison between this and the FE 24-240mm.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Excellent shots. I'd like to see a comparison between this and the FE 24-240mm.
I owned a copy of the 24-240mm and promptly returned it. It just wasn't that sharp. I'd rather shoot with the Sony 28-70mm kit lens! The Tamron as I mentioned, is uniformly sharp across the focal range and I never feel like sharpness is something I have to worry about with the Tamron at least on a 24mp sensor. I've seen samples taken with the A7RIII and even at 42mp, the lens holds up nicely. I'm more concerned about having enough light at the long end! For daytime shooting I have no issue and the 28mm f/2.8 close focusing is SUPER useful for detail shots and shooting in dimmer condition. I can't recommend this lens enough!

The only con is that there needs to be a lens profile for LR/ACR, mainly to fix wide end distortion and to remove the vignetting at the long end. Other than that, it's perfect!

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I pulled the trigger on the Tamron 28-200. It arrived today but it'll be a few weeks before I can get out shooting in earnest. Too much going on here at home right now. But I like what I see so far.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I pulled the trigger on the Tamron 28-200. It arrived today but it'll be a few weeks before I can get put shooting in earnest. Too much going on here at home right now. But I like what I see so far.
My dream was always to have a super zoom like this for mirrorless. Now I'm waiting for Tamron to do a telephoto zoom like a 70-300mm f/2.8-5.6! :D I'll be all over that like probiotics in cottage cheese!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I owned a copy of the 24-240mm and promptly returned it. It just wasn't that sharp. I'd rather shoot with the Sony 28-70mm kit lens!
Never had the Sony 24-240 or the Tamron 28-200, but there have been some decently sharp images with the Sony 24-240 posted here. Maybe you got a bad copy.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Excellent shots! I'm not surprised that this lens would be this good. Given how great their original manual focus model from decades ago, the 171A with spherical and LD elements in a plastic body, performed optically. I couldn't believe the sharp, clean shots it could produce up to 200mm on my A7II.
That design went on to become AF and a variety of ranges. It was even sold as a Pentax branded lens.
I can imagine they perfected it for mirrorless. This might be my first FE AF lens purchase!

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Excellent shots! I'm not surprised that this lens would be this good. Given how great their original manual focus model from decades ago, the 171A with spherical and LD elements in a plastic body, performed optically. I couldn't believe the sharp, clean shots it could produce up to 200mm on my A7II.
That design went on to become AF and a variety of ranges. It was even sold as a Pentax branded lens.
I can imagine they perfected it for mirrorless. This might be my first FE AF lens purchase!
Yep, this lens is definitely the pinnacle of Tamron's super zoom legacy. I always wrote these kind of lenses off as junk, but they really nailed it for mirrorless. All my other Sony lenses are primes, so it takes a really good zoom lens to impress me! Tamron nailed down a fine balance of compromises in regards to price, optics and performance.

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I don't see why the Pandemic changes the requirements for a lens. Street shots are IMO usually best from a moderate distance anyway, & no lens will give an image from a distance similar to a wide angle used close up. Relative distances in the second of these give exaggerated perspective which can occasionally be interesting but wears thin rapidly.

The lens does give some great pictures & the convenience of a super zoom is undeniable, but they don't go half long enough to be an 'all-in-one' - I have a 500mm in my camera bag, which gets used quite a bit more than my 14mm. It would be a great replacement for the routine 28-70 that I tend to fit on my camera before putting it away.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I don't see why the Pandemic changes the requirements for a lens. Street shots are IMO usually best from a moderate distance anyway, & no lens will give an image from a distance similar to a wide angle used close up. Relative distances in the second of these give exaggerated perspective which can occasionally be interesting but wears thin rapidly.

The lens does give some great pictures & the convenience of a super zoom is undeniable, but they don't go half long enough to be an 'all-in-one' - I have a 500mm in my camera bag, which gets used quite a bit more than my 14mm. It would be a great replacement for the routine 28-70 that I tend to fit on my camera before putting it away.
I was being a bit tongue-n-cheek, but maybe my Californian lightheartedness about the subject didn't translate well online. ;)

Saying that it's a fun lens, sharp and the 28mm f/2.8 wide angle does give it a bit more flexibility compared to other zooms of it's range. Also Tamron just announced an ultra compact 70-300mm if one needs added range!

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I was being a bit tongue-n-cheek, but maybe my Californian lightheartedness about the subject didn't translate well online. ;)

Saying that it's a fun lens, sharp and the 28mm f/2.8 wide angle does give it a bit more flexibility compared to other zooms of it's range. Also Tamron just announced an ultra compact 70-300mm if one needs added range!
I look forward to seeing that - even though the price will be higher than I usually pay, it's just possible I'll be able to stretch to it.

Top Bottom