The station is closed

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Nov 28, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I took a Thanksgiving morning road trip to the upper Kanawha Valley in southern West Virginia this morning. It was cold, but the air was clear and the sky blue; great for some photography. Gauley Bridge & Glen Ferris are two small towns nestled about a mile apart in the mountains along the upper Kanawha River. Both communities were boom towns in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. However, as the fortunes of extractive industries like coal and lumber have dwindled, so have the communities they supported. Today, there are dozens - if not hundreds - of such communities sprinkled all over WV. Many of them are shells of their former selves, sustained only by tourists passing through, or if they are fortunate enough to be in the right spot, perhaps a lodge or state park.

While I was snapping some pics of the old hydro plant and waterfalls, I noticed a decrepit old building across the road and up by the tracks. It was an old railroad depot. It has apparently been kaput for quite some time. I have passed this spot many times without giving the location more than a glance. Here are a few from the Minolta MD 24-35mm. I processed the first two to get a faded film look, and left the third one natural.

Tony

DSC09876_zps4a8e4b54.

DSC09878_zps9976e0b6.

DSC09880_zps1ec7a30e.

• Like Like x 10
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Neat

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That old-film look works very well here, the third one didn't even look right after seeing the first two. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Ad. :D

5. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks for posting this Tony. The muted top two really bring back the feeling of many tired and WV towns I rode through during a cross-country motorcycle trip in October.

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yeah, Tony. These are very nice and a really like your PP here.

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. WV is a beautiful state in many places, but there are unfortunately many tired, run-down communities.

Tony