1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Sony 50mm 1.8 FE lens is now available - Anybody get one yet?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by JonathanF2, May 4, 2016.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    The lens was released for sale today on May 4th. I couldn't help myself and ordered one, but it won't deliver until next Monday. I figure for $248 USD, why not! Anyone else buy it yet? :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your impression
    I'll probably order this lens after a while (want to read some reviews first) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'll wait a while, watching reviews. I'll only buy at a store where I can test the actual copy before buying it. $248 isn't expensive but € 300 here in Europe is a bit steep IMHO. I'm also curious to see what the recently announced Samyang 50/1.4 AF will be like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    €326 at our official Sony store for the new fe 50 1.8 !!! Wasn't expecting that price to be honest...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Mine will be delivered Monday 9th as well. I'll be comparing it against my 40mm/f2 Minolta m-Rokkor CLE

• Like Like x 4
  6. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Edited: So I didn't realize this lens isn't internally focused. I'm a little surprised Sony took a step back in this regards. User feedback on DPReview has some people disappointed with the AF speed. As long as it's accurate it won't be a big deal for me.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm going to compare mine to the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S pancake and see how it fares!

• Like Like x 2
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm a little confused by this comment. To the best of my knowledge, most if not all Sony FE lenses are focus by wire. This includes the Sony Zeiss line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Lng101010

Lng101010 New to TalkEmount

May 6, 2016
    I got mine today. And yup, focus is a little slow. But image quality looks good from what I can tell.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I meant to mean non-internal focus! I'll correct my comment. :D

11. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I'll have to test it out myself to see if I can deal with it. My only issue is when I want to shoot my kids. If it's too slow to keep up, I may have to return it.

12. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Optical formula is same as very old DSLR autofocus nifty fifties. They aren't internal focus as well (front element moves back and forward). But, I think it doesn't rotate, so it's suitable for CPL.

Price is crazy, assuming same lens for DSLR costs about 100€ in the competition. Sony sells is for x3. Considering maybe getting this new Samyang instead.

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Samyang is rumoured to cost double the price of the sony, at $600!!! But we'd have to wait to see :)

14. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    The biggest CON about this lens is.... AF noise and hunting as it focuses. Big turn off.

15. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Oh Yeah out those Circular Polarizers. Ar they really needed in mirrorless systemcameras?

16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Being a mirrorless camera system has no relevance as to whether Circular polarizers are needed. It is a filter for removing phase shifted, coherent light. Which can cause glare under certain shooting angles. So, a CPL is a useful tool to eliminate it.

As for the focus being slow, try leaving the camera in AF-C. It should shave a fraction of the time it takes in AF-S.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree with your statement. An additional remark: for a mirrorless camera you can also use a linear polarizer because there are no semi-transparent mirrors or other polarizing elements in the light path while viewing and capturing the image. Old linear polarizers can be had for relatively little money and are just as effective; I've used old Nikon 52mm polarizers on the Panasonic G1 at the time.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Oh sorry i was thinking circular as opposed to regular polarizers. I suspected the mirrorless differed from slr's but the problems would be metering and af.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Here's the combo I wanted it for, and no one seems to be talking about!
    (taken with my lovable RX100)

BTW... on the back you can see the new Lensmate thumb grip for the A6300 (LM A6300). I LOVE that thing! So much better handling for normal sized hands.

A6300SRH.

I have an A7ii, on which this lens is a little slow. It has a programmed "hunt" at the end of the focus cycle, which seems very 1996.
    BUT, even though it still has that little blip at the end, on the A6300 it is noticeably faster to focus. Here's MY new 75mm/1.8 (equivalent) APS-C portrait lens for $249!

• Like Like x 2
  20. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm glad you got the lens you wanted, but help my curiosity. The only reason most people are excited about this lens is because Sony finally has an affordable FF nifty-fifty. If you wanted a 50 on APSC, why didn't you get the SEL50F18 OSS? It is the best performing APSC lens in the Sony E lineup and it has the added benefit of OSS and decent build quality. I seriously doubt this FF 50 can match it in performance or the price would be higher. Also, even if it performed very well on FF, lenses designed for FF will loose something when used on APSC (See DXO, Imatest results for the 55Z and APSC, it is no longer a special lens on APSC, just a good lens).

BTW Steve, I hope I am not coming across wrong, but I genuinely don't get why you want this lens for APSC.

• Agree Agree x 1