the SEL 55-210 arrived today, a couple of shots in the back garden

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, Jul 17, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    and straight on the nex 6 as soon as I got home,
    I think I will like this lens very much, it's so light and smooth and pretty good brightness in the viewfinder and not bad focus speed for a 4.5-6.3.

these are all cropped to 67%

as you will know, these bees don't hang around in the same spot for long.

2. the-donut-man

the-donut-man TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 29, 2013
    Great shots especially the detail on the honey bee.

3. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    Are these out of camera JPGs?

I just got a Nex, and am learning how to develop RAWs. What are good RAW converters for the Nex 6? I have Lightroom, but I found the automatic distortion correction to be very poor compared to the JPGs out of the camera (with the 16-50mm lens specifically).

4. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    Pretty impressive. Looks sharp with nice bokeh

5. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    NewTex, I thInk this may be would be better to have its own thread as it doesnt really specifically apply to the 55-200 :)

I mainly use PS CS6 for my raw conversion, but I understand that it is essentially the same "engine." Maybe you already know this, but I'll ask anyway. Did you go to the lens profile tab in the raw converter, check the custom tab and choose the SEL lens? You may have to update to the most recent version to have the lens in the database. I think it does a pretty good job for the inherent design issues in that lens. Remember that the adjustments made in the raw converter are "nondestructive" (i.e., they are not permanent), while the jpeg "correction" is. In order to correct, I think it uses an algorythm much like you would use in any post processing, which means a certain amount of cropping and data loss. But you could do that yourself after doing the raw conversion, in your post-processing

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, nice shots, gio. I just got this lens myself, and haven't yet had the chance to put it to use very much. Gotta work on that.

And New Tex, I believe Andy is correct about needing to enable lens correction in Lightroom. I sent you a PM with an example.

7. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    My apologies for hijacking this thread; I have your PIMs if I need to I will start a new thread. Thanks!

8. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    just a tiny bit levels and saturation, but generally they are great right out of the camera.
    they are all jpegs, I only use jpegs, I remember the days when I had a darkroom set up in the bathroom, wait till the kids go to bed, set up the blackout curtains, put a workboard over the bath get everything going ,turn the light off and within 2 minutes one of the children would need the toilet. it was burning the midnight oil in those days, maybe 3 hours and at the end of it not really get anything worthwhile, so after all that, jpeg suit me just fine, I love the stuff people do with raw images but it's not for me, personally I enjoy photography a lot more the jpeg way and jpegs have certainly come a long long way in the past 4 years or so,
    just get the settings right for you in camera ie saturation ,contrast
    for all outdoor stuff , my camera is set to cloudy white balance and -3 exposure compensation, I get nice rich colours that way

9. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    hijack away, I have no problem with that , as my old dad used to say , the day you don't learn something, your dead

10. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I am really surprised with this lens for the price, I'm struggling to put my 35mm 1.8 on as this lens is so much more versatile,obviously not as sharp but that doesn't bother me too much, in fact not at all.
    it's a sort of fun lens with the nex 6

11. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    BTW, you can fine-tune the distortion correction in Lightroom if you're not happy with the default it has for the lens. Make sure you've turned "Enable Profile Corrections" first though, or you won't see the results.

12. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    a few more with that lens, I can only recommend it as a good lens, versatile and real fun on the nex too, these were all on centre autofocus, no DMF, so it's not bad focusing either

13. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
  14. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    A little daytime moon action

i-QGHQrJG-1200x1200.

15. ChangshaNotes