1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The Prodigal Son returns

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Jun 20, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    . . . not that I ever fully left. As many of you have read, I jumped into the DSLR world last Christmas with a Pentax K-30. Nice weather-sealed camera, well balanced with great IQ - due in no small part to its Sony 16Mp sensor. I followed that up with a weather-sealed 55-300. For a while I was happy as a lark, and my 5R didn't get much attention. I took a lot of really nice photos with that combination, and the OVF is a joy to use, especially on sunny days. I'm not big on AF, so I didn't use it a whole lot, but the lens did hunt a good bit in low light conditions.

I did miss the 5R and its great IQ stuffed in a small package. I think the turning point came when I bought the Pentax Q for use in aerial photography. I was reminded again of how great IQ doesn't need a big package. I started leaving the K-30 at home, and carrying the Q or 5R again. The K-30 was being used less and less. I came to the conclusion I had a really nice camera sitting in the closet that needed a better home. I put the K-30 and 55-300 WR up for sale, and the lens went almost immediately. I've had some nibbles on the K-30, but aside from a couple of low-ball offers, no interest. Pentax has been pumping out new DSLRs like crazy, and their prices have been falling fast. I may have to take a good bit less than I'd wanted for the K-30; I hope not.

In the meantime, I have been watching the Sony market closely, and waiting not-so-patiently for prices on legacy models to drop. Despite their advances, the A6000 and A7/7R/7S were either much more than I wanted to spend, or didn't have the features I wanted. Essentially, what eliminated the A6000 was the larger size, and lack of electronic level. I finally found a new NEX-6 body for well under $400 USD. Many of you have raved over the NEX-6 since its release, and all of my research indicated it was exactly what I needed to complement my 5R. I may eventually let go of the 5R, but NEX prices have dropped so much, I doubt I could get much out of it anyway.

So here I am, come full circle. My Fotasy pop-up shade for the 5R arrived today, so if the weather holds, I'll be out in the woods in the morning, getting some shots of our great WV forests.

Tony

• Like Like x 5
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sounds good and all very understandable...the huge sensor in the NEX line is really something.
    And the more I've used and learned about the NEX-7 with all the Canon FD lenses I already had, I drove a stake in the ground and decided its all the capability I'll ever need for the remaining few years I have left on the planet and picked up another at a reduced price as well.

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Same here . . . I have a fair few cameras, and I really have all I need. As for the K-30, I have decided to keep it. My wife said she thought I'd really regret giving it up, and the 3 offers I got on it were ridiculously low. I just cancelled the listing. It is a good camera, and I'll definitely use it when weather conditions are inclement.

Tony